Best shell deals in the last year or 2

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by shell waster, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

:l :l :l

2. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

I think seark has the right of it... they DO change powder all the time. I expect that BillyBob shot some dirty ones well before I tried them, and the formula changed in the interim. Heck, Alliant redid all their powders Unique, GD, BD, etc. and published they were ALL cleaner, just a couple years ago... and who owns BOTH Federal AND Alliant? That's right, the same company, Vista Outdoors.

Ya think that when the company takes the time to reformulate all their powders to make them cleaner burning, they THEN don't use those new cleaner powders in their OWN ammo? Pretty sure they do.

Despite what Billy Bob found out some time in the past, here's my experience with speedshok, 12ga 3" 1-1/8oz #2 bought in Jan16:
    1. I clean my gun after every hunt, so I know how much residue is in the barrels, not just a guess after some unknown number of shots.
    2. I've done a bit of patterning various loads recently, so can compare Fiocchi, Rio, SpeedShok, Kent Fasteel, Kent SilverSteel with each other.
    3. SpeedShok bought in Jan 2016 don't seem any dirtier to me upon cleaning my gun after 10 shots or so, than Kent. Fiocchi seemed cleaner, their 1-1/5oz SpeedSteel version anyways.
    4. Someone keeps mentioning getting crud in their eyes... just like every single gun safety booklet ever written, I'd advise the use of safety glasses when shooting. Includes hunting, skeet, whatever... makes this kind of thing a non-issue.
    5. I didn't want to like the Fed SpeedShok, based on reading stuff on it being dirty in the past... but after I actually patterned some shells, I couldn't help but like them: in my Maxus at 40 yards with mod and IC chokes, they delivered great patterns.
    6. I dropped my Maxus in slurping mud, face down action open, and filled the whole action with mud. I dunked it and rinsed it out a bit, and it shot all day after that shooting SpeedShoks with NO issues... it's hard for me to believe that any shell can generate in one hunt more "gunk" than a receiver full of mud. Sorry, but I'd be blaming the gun 99.99% of it.

Just a data point for consideration. In any case, I can certainly understand Billy Bob's attitude-- I won't use Winchester Xperts, after seeing them jam up in 7 or 8 kids guns on a youth duck hunt. No one wants to use a shell they've lost reliability confidence in, that's for sure. Luckily there are lots of choices. I heard so much good things about Rem Sportsman steel, that I bought a couple 2.75" boxes and will give them a try this year too.

Tuleman and Seaark18 like this.
  3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

It very well could have just been the powder used at the time. I bought 2 cases and tried a few boxes from each case thinking it may have just been one of the cases. Shooting them I obviously had no choice other than to clean my guns constantly so I can't blame an already dirty gun. I have always said they pattern well and hit hard it was the grease and grime of powder fouling and unburned powder that turned me off of them. 100% correct that you can't shoot something you don't have total confidence in.

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I found 17 boxes of Hevi Shot Turkey loads for $6 a box a few years back. No one realized you could use them for ducks.

5. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

At the end of the season my local Cabela's had Rio Blue Steel 3" #2 & #4 on sale for $8.49/box. I bought a case of each size so I am set for a trip to Canada in a couple of weeks. Walmart is worth checking at the end of the season also. Over the years I have run across Remington Nitro 3" #1 & #4 for $7.00/box, but they did not have the sale after the 2106/17 season. Just always be on the lookout.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Unburnt powder in the barrel's bore comes from the last shell fired....only. The firing of every shell cleans out the loose powder from the previously-fired shell every time; it does not accumulate in the bore, unlike in the receiver. So, whether 200 rounds have been fired or one round, the unburnt powder in the bore will be the same.

7. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

I'll buy that reasoning. I think I probably meant to type "action" or receiver, and not barrels. Basically the idea that when I clean my gun, I'm not noticing much difference in dirtiness with the speed shok I have.

I've mostly been using O/U at skeet all year, but did use my Maxus probably 15 rounds or so since last hunting season-- and I haven't cleaned it since hunting. My cleaning during hunting is more about the fact I'm making sure there's no water, mud, sticks/leaves in there, and to ensure reliability. But in the off season during just skeet, I usually have several guns with me. Decided to let it go this year and see what happened. I've been shooting 7/8oz promo reloads, or 3/4oz reloads with Vectan A24. Nothing to do with the prior thread really, but I'll be interested to see how much residue is in there, and then will compare it after shooting some of that 2016? speed shok this year.

I looked outside in my stash and see that I bought a box of Herters #3 steel shot, Rio #3, and some Rem sportsman too. Must have been some deals and I was missing duck season lol. I'll try to remember to come back and post when I use those.