Best Short Reed Honker Call

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by bet4120, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

Here is a crazy idea.

1) Learn how to blow a call. Clucks, moans, hils, murmurs, all the basics. Throw all the fancy $hyt out the window. Most of it doesnt kill a goose any better than a standard cluck anyway and most guys cant consistently blow those notes when they need/should. If you are still using reference words while calling you havent mastered the basics and need to practice more.

2) Pick a brand, any brand - theyre all basically the same anyway. Tune it so when you blow a standard cluck it is as close to sounding like a real goose as possible. If you need to go higher, blow a higher note. If you need to go lower, go lower. All this carry four calls on your lanyard bs, high pitched calls, low pitched calls etc is laughable.

If you have more than than two goose calls on your lanyard and you can only make certain notes on certain calls you need to practice, not buy more calls.

BAYDOG likes this.
  2. DMBgoosehunter13

DMBgoosehunter13 Elite Refuge Member

So if you have a Eastern Shoreman, a Saunders I5KLR, and Tim Grounds Super Mag I need to practice to make the Shoreman do notes the Saunders can? Three calls all for Geese producing different notes :joker

3. jeffD4L

jeffD4L Senior Refuge Member

Preach BBW:pra

the only problem with #2 is that 90% of the guys on here can't tune a goose call:doh that's why they argue about what call has the best low end or best what ever! If they took the time it takes to bitch on here they would be able to Tyne just about any brand short reed to sound awesome!!!

And right now my fav call is an Atomic G with GUGs very good spits A perfect clucks and great moans and murmurs!

BAYDOG likes this.
  4. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

I can tune my longer calls, which are moderately low to medium in pitch, so I can get high pitched clucks. But, it takes a lot more air than I can push through the call comfortably to get any speed on high pitched notes with the call set up that way. It's much easier to tune a call to be high pitched and choke it down a bit to get lower notes (though they seem to be lower volume, too), than the other way around.

As we get older, it becomes tougher and tougher to build and/or maintain the lung air capacity to run a call like you can. I'm sure that most of us wish we could, but it's a reality that our physical limitations place on us. So, we do the next best thing we can, we use more than one call ... normally one tuned higher in pitch and another tuned lower in pitch.

Not all of us are gifted enough to be "Igor Stravinsky" on a goose call. Most of us have to be content to be that 8th grader, banging out a tune on his piano the best he can.

5. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Elite Refuge Member

Pick whichever one in your area other guys use the least an run with it. Calling is about number 5 to 10 down the list when it comes to killing geese these days.

6. duckdown1

duckdown1 Elite Refuge Member

Kind of like the guys who are always changing chokes and shells to kill Birds. Learn how to shoot better and chokes and shell size means zero! Doesn't matter what choke or shells you use. If you can't hit the bird you won't kill it!

7. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Im pretty bad on a goose call so the calls that I say that are good are good for a beginner.
    Cold Front High Pressure and a Honker Breaker HB2

STUMP

8. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

1. Side pockets
    2. Flocking
    3. Flocking
    4. Flocking

9. waterfowlpro

waterfowlpro Senior Refuge Member

it really doesnt matter what call you have as long as you can read them correctly.

bullpinnie likes this.
  10. c-hawk19

c-hawk19 Elite Refuge Member

Dang you mean to tell me the reason I suck on a goose call is on me not the call. Well dang.