Best Short Reed Honker Call

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by bet4120, Feb 3, 2012.

1. aecrowell

aecrowell Senior Refuge Member

I run a bunch of different Winglock goose calls. Some high pitched some low.

Works for me.

goosehunter64 likes this.
  2. Big AL1

Big AL1 Refuge Member Sponsor

Deep goose calls usually don't run as fast but in a hunting situation you probably don't need alot of speed. Just some good meat notes. For awhile I toted several goose calls around...then realized you just need one good one...well maybe two. I did find that sometimes the geese loved the sound of one over the other on a given day or location. So many good calls out there made by some great folks!

goosehunter64 likes this.
  3. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^what AL said for sure. I have a buddy that runs an old flute and there I
    are times I drop my call and let him finish 'em!

Big AL1 likes this.
  4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Many years ago I foolishly sold an early numberred, Ivory, Foiles SMH to another Fuger.
    It had light grey translucent guts that I am not sure were stock. I never heard or blew a better one. Not too big a deal as I do not hunt Honkers anymore. I think it was to a guy from Kansas, and he must have killed a bunch with it.

5. Big AL1

Flutes can be sooo deadly!!!

6. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

Those gray guts came out of his polycarb call. I can't remember the name of that call, but it was a decent call for sure and those guts were pretty good too. I liked them in certain calls of his more than his green guts.

7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Greenhead, I always wondered about that and you are the first person to know.:tu I remember it was easy to run.

8. Big AL1

That call is the Foiles "Meat Grinder"...and yes, for a poly carb it does sound very good! Actually sounds even better once you break it in...pretty sure they still come with the grey guts. I have the green as well. They are about the same for sound and ease of use.

9. gone goosin

gone goosin Elite Refuge Member

Old *** Shore Thing...killed a goose once.

10. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

Best . . .there are so many great choices out there. I would consider any of these and I've tried a bunch: C&S disciple, Saunders traffic, Bay Country Shore thing, Grounds G Overhauler, Foiles SMH, and Zink Little man are all sweet calls.