Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Best state and or outfittersfor snowgeese hunting conservation season?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by leftyhunter, Sep 14, 2016.

1. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Lefty, just so you know I hunt snows about 40 days a year and about the only place to stack up limits is Canada in the fall where there are lots of fresh off the nest juvies.

By the time the mid west spring season comes along, these birds are by far the toughest birds to decoy period due to the extreme hunting pressure. The odds are very low that you will have hunt days like you are hoping. A ten bird per gun average would imho be tough to come by.

Also as So Cal put above,I forgot to suggest them, I would also consider Four Flyways as they are hardcore California guys who are exceptional hunters and love shooting snow geese.

Kenny Begley will shoot mornings and afternoon if birds are flying here in Nor Cal

leftyhunter likes this.
  2. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Senior Refuge Member

I very much appreciate your advice in this matter. So just to confirm the limit is 20 white geese a day not up to 30 as long as only no more then 10 are dark geese?
    Thanks
    Leftyhunter

3. KID CREOLE

California, 20 whites, 10 darks(specs, lessers, aleutians)

Don't let the increase in limits fool you into thinking that limits are easy to come by, its the exact opposite

leftyhunter likes this.
  4. leftyhunter

leftyhunter Senior Refuge Member

Hi Kid Creole,
    I just spoke to my son who will have leave from the USMC in early Dec. Camp Penelton has waterfowl hunting but only on the weekends. and he wants to hunt the 4th through 7th of Dec. Where would you sugeset we hunt ?It does not have to be geese but geese would be nice.
    Thanks
    Leftyhunter

5. KID CREOLE

It is very tough to get a spot hunting with Kenny and such short notice but give him a call, I believe Kenny is in Canada right now

Also, post this up a thread on the California board, they might also have ideas

leftyhunter likes this.
  6. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

you might consider a spring hunt for Greater Snows in Maryland or even Quebec. Something very different. I think it would be cool to have those big snows working. Just a thought
    Otherwise; most outfitters in Arkansas can get you on some birds. Do some reference work and you should find a couple that you would be happy with.

leftyhunter and 870 like this.
  7. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

You talk allot about limits but thats a number that very rarely comes into play for even the best hunters under perfect conditions and I'm basing that on a 20 bird limit. Like said if you want the best odds of big numbers you need to be sitting at the tree line waiting for them to come off the tundra and it needs to be a good hatch year. The birds will get harder to hunt each week after that point with little improvement till the first few days of the conservation order then it's back to being nearly impossible to fool again. Used to be a guy could get into them hard at the tail end of the spring migration when 99% of hunters and adult birds had headed for home but the secret is long since out on that and it's now more of a rat race then the main push. The central flyaway snows are nothing short of a bitch to hunt and they are normally good for putting on a hell of an airshow however it's often a very frustrating airshow as if often seems to take place one field over! So if numbers in hand are what you want then you will be best off in late September early October in Canada or whenever peak is out there because any other time or place save some east coats action will be a let down. The only real thing other then crazy *** numbers that the Midcontinent flock has over the other areas is large numbers of blues.

leftyhunter likes this.
  8. jpallen

jpallen Elite Refuge Member

Spring season Ark. the first week or two it opens hands down the best overall. Fall... Canada period

leftyhunter likes this.