Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

best supply company?

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by pintail21, Mar 27, 2003.

1. pintail21

pintail21 Elite Refuge Member

OK, this should be the last one, but what is the best (or cheapest) supply company, I already know about Van Dykes, but is there anybody else that is reliable?

2. DesertWings

DesertWings Elite Refuge Member

You have one of the best in your back yard...Research Mannikins (800) 826-0654 out of Lebanon Oregon...Great line of Stefan Savides bodies and heads...Great Service!!!!

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Elite Refuge Member

Pintail

Check out my post under "Best taxidermy guide book/video" for more supply companies

4. HarlequinTaxidermy

HarlequinTaxidermy Elite Refuge Member

the bigger companies are all about the same, research, mckenzie's, van dykes, wasco, etc etc..

Key words here ,

cheap..... not a good word to start with... It may seem expensive starting out, buying degreasers, knives, eyes, bodies, yadda yadda.. but don't try and cut to many corners, buy the good stuff, or the stuff that works for you, and before you know it, you'll have aquired an inventory of supplies, so that the cost of the average bird, will be around $20 to mount.

a good knife, a good scissors, a good degreaser, yes dawn works okay, but there are better things on the mkt. invest in good eyes, they can make a world of difference, if you want an artificial head, try it, I find them easier, but thats just me... most of the other supplies are inexpensive and can be bought at walmart or your local craft store.. Hint hint, MJ designs is going out of business....... (if they are local to you) you can find wood wool, paints, glues, tapes, pins, even exacto knifes, Not everything needs to be bought through a taxi supplier...keep that in mind.. Save on shipping...
    I personally only buy eyes, bodies, and heads from the suppliers.. EVERYTHING ELSE i CAN FIND AT A CRAFT STORE, HOME DEPOT, WALMART, OR MY LOCAL GROCERY STORE OR PHARMACY..

Hope this provides a little ensight!
    best of luck!
    jon

5. muthagoose

muthagoose Elite Refuge Member

I use McKenzie a bit since they bought up research,reinhardt and several others.. Wasco is another good one..The main one if I can is Hide and beak just for the simple fact they are quick and on your first order they offer a discount and at the end of the year a rebate on all spent for the year.There is a great list of suppliers on taxidermy.net check it out there should be anything you need there

6. ben schroo

ben schroo Elite Refuge Member

i order most out of Wasco, but i have been getting some thinks lately out of Mckenzie. Both are good in my opinion. If i can find it local, thats where i'll get it though.

7. scw8998

scw8998 Senior Refuge Member

I try to stay away from Mckenzie as much as possible because they are getting greedy.They keep buying these other companies andf their prices are going out the roof.I mostly order from Wasco,Quality supply,and Van Dykes.
    The bad thing about Van Dykes is that I heard Cabelas bought them out.For the last 8-10 months just about everything I try to order is put on backorder.They used to not be that bad about that.
    I order the majority of my stuff from Quality Taxidermy Supply.Most of their stuff is just as good as everybody elses and the prices are cheaper.They are located in NC.If anyone wants thier number,let me know.I cant remember if they are listed on taxidermy.net.
    One example of Quality's prices is that you can get duck forms for $2-3 and duck heads for $6.50.That beats everybody else and the quality is good.

8. PJB3

PJB3 Elite Refuge Member

I use Vandykes, mainly for the eyes, I believe they are the best. I also use Mackensies, mainly for forms and everything else. I'm gonna try using some other you guys recommend

9. Chuckcnctaxi

Chuckcnctaxi Senior Refuge Member

That hard to answer -I use who ever has what I'm looking for and I don't worry about price.I use WASCO and McKenzie deer mannikins mostly but have used Van Dyke occaisionally.I have a Dakota IV fleshing machine (Van Dykes is owned by Cabelas)I don't use their mannikins however because I don't believe they fit the deer I get in. I use Epogrip epoxy hide adhesives and degreasers . Research Mannikins (unless its happened in the last 3 months -they are NOT owned by McKenzie )is another good deer mannikin supplier and I use them quite often.McKenzie owns-Rinehart ,Rayline,Joe Meder.Point here is-I use the BEST supplies and tools I can find . I used to pinch pennies before and ended up with more time invested going back to babysit a mount. Epoxies have freed up a ton of time so I can be doing other mounts. I try to stay away from anything from the old Rinehart line.