Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Best Third Split Opener In A While

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by fielddog, Dec 13, 2016.

1. fielddog

fielddog Refuge Member

Some Bird's finally showed up this morning. Had one of the better openers for the third split in quite some time. Hunted until 10 O clock with a mix bag of Mallards, Gadwalls, Greenwing Teal, one Shoveler and one Hen Redhead. 16 birds total for four men. hoping the rest of the season will go as good, after how slow the last few years have been. Hope ever one else did just as good or better.

Fielddog

woodsie likes this.
  2. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    We got to see alot of ducks, and the goose numbers were off the charts in the area I was watching... I anticipate a great season is about to start with this upcoming weather event.

3. SAXIS ISLANDER

SAXIS ISLANDER Elite Refuge Member

Still hanging on to a few woodrows...back at Market Street Deli eating Scrapple, egg, and cheese sammitches by 8. Though Milo made several good retrieves in the thick stuff, she's gonna have to calm down a bit between shots. Fortunately, this morning, she didn't have to wait too long.

4. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

Congrats. Itching to get out.

5. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Senior Refuge Member

Good for you Fielddog. It sounds like you guys had a good day. I started the season just like I ended the last one, skunked. No water at my blind site so I was only able to hunt for about 45 minutes. Took me almost that long to get my boat unstuck and off the mudflat. Saw a handful of widgeons, gadwall and a couple cans. Not the best day but it sure beats working.

6. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

we didn't even see a duck

7. TDB duckin

TDB duckin Refuge Member

Canvasback and blackduck everywhere guy set up just in front of the sky busting but killing birds pissing me off at the same time.. they would not decoy or within range of us unbelievable third split with great numbers of birds try again in the morning

8. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Ill be out thursday

9. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Saw a decent number of birds both puddle ducks and divers, but frustrating morning, birds would not finish, we tried every change possible, what seemed to work best was to pack up and go home at noon.
    Guys near us were banging away all morning, but I'm a little suspect at their eventual end of the hunt on the dock bird count.

10. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Probably the slowest third split opener I've ever seen. Very little shooting in the entire area I was- and there are ducks there. Saw about 22 ducks total 3 of us killed 6.