Best turkey ever killed?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Trashduck, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Turnkey

Turnkey Elite Refuge Member

Let's see some picture's of all these multiple bearded bird's.

2. starter duck

starter duck Senior Refuge Member

no pick of my bird's triple but I think I have one of crazy's.

3. Thor Nottus

Thor Nottus Guest

biggest spurs or longest beard then I'd have a tough time deciding between my first Merriam's...

a bird that came out of the Black Timber into a green meadow, followed by a smaller bird, cutting every one of my calls off with a gobble that envoked an all out fight from his partner.....I'd call and he'd gobble and then they'd fight. Had he been alone I'd bet that he would have come to the gun in under 5 minutes but with all of the fighting that they were doing the time was stretched to well over 30 minutes and I was treated to seeing the sun turning the two birds to the incredible sahdes of green that Merriams have in the sunshine as the bigger bird strutted, and then both of them fought, in response to each call. When they finally closed the distance into shooting range I was so tight that I really don't remember pulling the trigger.....on reaching the bird the mystery of why the fighting was so continuous, and vicious, was obvious...the BIG BOY had no spurs....he was clearly the dominate bird but he was paying dearly for every hen he was breeding...must be tough being the baddest boy on the block but having to fight without weapons when the punks on the block are allowed to use knives...

and the last Rio that I shot last season....

It was the last day of the season in May in S.Oregon. Seasons run all the way to the end of May down there and by then you are into a second peak of gobbling as the Tom's frantically look for any available hen and frequently are running in "packs"...We had roosted some birds the evening before and when they flew down the next morning I was sure that things were going to happen quickly.....and they did...but not in the fashion that I expected...

Three Toms hit the ground at the bottom of the meadow and strutted out in to the clearing gobbling at every call strutting slowly up the meadow to our position. With each gobble from the trio they were answered by every other Tom in the canyon and EVERYONE was getting closer with each gobble....by the time that the three birds were a hundred yards away they had been joined by five other longbeards and there were still others gobbling that I couldn't see...

At that point EVERYBODY hung up and nothing that I did, from silence, to quiet calling, to as agressive as I could be on two calls at once wouldn't budge them. Eight Toms all fanned out is awful pretty but after a few minutes it also gets real frustrating especially when you just know they aren't going to come any further. Over the next few minutes the entire bunch slowly worked their way back down the meadow and over the ridge...

I waited thirty minutes and then moved to within 30 yards of the edge of the canyon and made a single run of about five yelps....I was cut off by a wave of Gobbles before I hit the slate the second time...they were close, really close....stupid move on my part because I hadn't looked for a spot to set up before I called and these guys were "right there". The only place close to sit down was a lone scrubby Oak that was completely surrounded by a major thicket of Poision Oak...I'm typically not bothered by it but I also don't go around looking to sit in it in such tight quarters...No time left as another wave of gobbles rolled over the lip of the canyon...

Seated on a cushion of freshly broken, oozing, Poision Oak, back against the oak, gun up and shaking like a leaf I waited for the birds to break the lip of the canyon...I'm pretty hard of hearing and it takes a real close bird for me to hear a bird drum and these were close.....I'll never know for sure how many there were in that group but the drumming was so loud that it sounded like a
    truck stop parking lot with a bunch of diesels idleing...there were enough brds drumming that the sound was all but contiuous and they were so close that it was more of a feeling in my chest than a pressure on my ears...

I'm sure it didn't take more than a couple of minutes but it sure seemed longer when finally I saw the top of fan, and then a second and third, break the lip of the canyon...I tried to do a single yelp, which sounded more like a dog whining, but whatever I said they liked it as birds gobbled all across the canyon edge directly in front of me. The tops of fans popped up just below the lip looking like the old Westerns of a bunch of Indian headresses peaking over a wall.....

Everybody drummed, I whined one more time, (I think this one was actually involuntary), everybody gobbled one more time and then they started stepping over the lip into view....as I said I don't know how many there were but I'd bet there were at least 10 and everyone of them was a Longbeard....

I'd like to say I was composed enough to look through them for the longest spurs but I'd be less than truthful if I said I did anything but trigger the first bird that stepped in front of the gun.....he was a nice bird with spurs a shade over an 1" and a good beard...but you know what? An inch in either direction wouldn't have made him any better....

So like I said...if BEST is judged by something other than bone and modified feathers then one of the two above would be MY BEST....

Steve

4. us2turkeys

us2turkeys Refuge Member

The best turkey I have ever taken is the one I took when my wife and I doubled one morning. What a great morning. I will never forget it.

5. us2turkeys

us2turkeys Refuge Member

Oh, and hers was bigger!

6. Tork

Tork Senior Refuge Member

My heaviest was a 28 pounder with a 12 inch thick beard and a 9inch thin beard,with 1-1/4 spurs.Best bearded bird was a 6 beard bird,dont remember the lenghts of each beard,but the total was 37-1/4 inches of beard.

7. FETHRCUTTR

FETHRCUTTR Senior Refuge Member

WEIGHT 21 AND A HALF LBS 11" BEARD AND 1" SPURS

8. Ho ace

Ho ace Senior Refuge Member

Every one of them were the best but the biggest was:

Eastern
    21 lbs.
    11 1/2" Beard
    1" Spurs

By the way that was my first turkey and its been down hill from there. :l

9. Shoot2Kill

Shoot2Kill Elite Refuge Member

Mine was a 22-1/2 #'s, 11" beard, and 1-1/4" spurs. I could have sworn that dude weighed 50#'s by the time I got out of the woods.:sp

10. DownThePipe

DownThePipe Elite Refuge Member

My first tom and also best bird was last year---a Rio Grande that had a 9 inch beard. Not saying much compared to most---but I was proud:D