Best Turkey hunt I've had

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by JuvieCoot, Apr 11, 2016.

1. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

First couple weeks of the CA season have been tough for me and my hunting partner/girlfriend but it finally came together yesterday. Got a call on Monday from a buddy that is new to hunting and some birds had started roosting behind his house. Asked if we wanted to try to get on them on Saturday so we said sure. Showed up Friday put the birds to bed, all that I knew about their pattern was that they ended up across the street. There were 2 routes I thought they would take so Saturday morning we set up on one of them with his girlfriend and mine under one tree and my buddy and I hidden in a pile of cut wood. Birds came down from the roost and milled around about 150 yards from us and took the other route off the property. We tried to get around them before they left but it wasn't happening so we went to breakfast, came back and built a couple blinds on the route they took for the next day. I was feeling pretty confident that we could kill at least 2, there were 10 toms and 6 jakes in the bunch of 35 birds that were out there.

Showed up Sunday morning and our friends didn't want to get out of bed and told us to have at it. It was misty and gray but the roost was nonstop gobbling for 45 minutes before flydown. Hens were very vocal also. Then the whole roost plopped down right in front of us. Had to wait about 10 minutes for a shot because the DSD hen and jake were getting beat up by real hens and jakes but when my girlfriend had a clear shot at the closest tom I told her to take it and I shot at a Tom that was at about 30 yards that I had a clear lane at. Both over 10" beards and 1 3/16" spurs on mine, 1 1/16" on hers. Our friends were bummed and learned that when you think you have them figured out you need to go. Will try to get them each a bird on Saturday morning.

2. JuvieCoot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little better less soggy pic when we got home

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. JuvieCoot

I don't know exactly how accurate this scale is, but definitely the heaviest turkey I've ever shot[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEC likes this.
  4. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

Congrats,couple of beautiful birds.
    Is that a english walnut orchard you took the picture in.

Greg

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Nicely done! Those are both great birds. Congratulations to both of you.

6. JuvieCoot

Yes it is a walnut orchard. Don't own it but that's in my backyard. There are birds that use it but we've been unsuccessful so far there this season.

7. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

Very nice...good job staying after them. Congrats to both you and the pretty lady!

8. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Big beautiful birds, thanks for sharing, I hope to try one more time this weekend!

9. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Strong work, great birds.

10. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

Nice.