Best Waterfowl Hunting Books & Best Waterfowl Hunting Magazines ?

Discussion in 'Book Forum' started by The Duck Commander, Dec 21, 2014.

1. NBHunter

NBHunter Elite Refuge Member

Worth Mathewson has some great reads. I've read a couple of his books. I'm probably a little bias since he's from Oregon. Met him last summer at the Oregon Waterfowl Festival and bought one of his books there. He's hunted all over the world and has some great stories to share.

2. Clint

Clint Refuge Member

I had asked for this book for X-mas and was lucky enough to receive it, so far I'm only 3/4 the way through the book but I have enjoyed it so far. If anyone knows of similar reads I would be interested.

3. wingmann17

wingmann17 Senior Refuge Member

Here are a few that are worth taking a look at.

Halt, I'm a Federal Game Warden by Willie Parker
    Autumn Passages - A Ducks Unlimited Treasury of Waterfowling Classics
    Marsh Tales - Market Hunting, Duck Trapping and Gunning by William Smith.

Wingmann17

4. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

Any of the Gordon McQUARRIE books or stories. The tapes of his books are also available and are worth acquiring for cross country drive listening. Any of Sam Venable's duck hunting books as well.

5. whiskyjack

whiskyjack Refuge Member

Living A Dream: The Education of a Duck Hunter by Norman Seymour
    Documents the life of the author as he learns to hunt waterfowl as a boy through his career as a waterfowl biologist. Lots of adventure and some great thought provoking information. A very good read.

6. duxh8me

duxh8me Elite Refuge Member

Cool thread...
    Autumn Passages (listed above is great... the story on the Armistice Day storm gets read every year by me)

Ralph Kohler "Born to Hunt " I hunted with him in Nebraska many times but the book is all stories and he was 94 last year and guided for over 75 years.. the story where he and his uncle took out a whole flock of gadwal is awesome.. 15 Birds!

Bird ID book "lemaster method" is water proof and a must for beginners.. like $6

if you want to think "a sand county Almanac " Aldo Leopold it is advanced reading .... but so true

let me go look on the book shelf

X2 on the Jack Miner Birds

and The snow goose imprinting book ... Flight of the geese is a good story

I am always ready to do some book trading I have way too many about tons of other animals I don't hunt Turkey, Elk, Deer and I love Bear books

Jim Villwok Rowlett Texas

7. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

Im surprised nobody mentioned Ducks Unlimited Magazine. I always look forward to reading the latest issues plus you are supporting a great cause.

8. texduk3

texduk3 Senior Refuge Member

The Gene Hill books,
    also Grand Passage a Chronicle of American Waterfowling,
    Anything by Aldo Leupold

9. Marshmaster

Marshmaster Elite Refuge Member

George Reiger's, "The Wings of Dawn", has one of the most detailed bibliographies to build a book collection from if you're looking for books from both the US and the UK prior to 1980. I have used it as a basis to build my library of over 300 books. A great place to find some of the titles is in out of print book stores as well as on the Internet. Another place to find some informational books and booklets is through your state conservation department and private conservation groups. You can also find some interesting publications by hanging out at your state legislature when conservation bills are being discussed as you can get up to date habitat assessments.

Also look at the state Conservation(DNR) web sites as they may have archived information. The Minnesota DNR, through a grant from our constitutional amendment has digitized its 75 years of the 'Minnesota Conservation Volunteer'. It also has digitized several other older publications - one was a 1950's survey of wetland basins in each of the counties which included many that have been drained. Some of those basins came back to life ever so briefly this summer and fall when southern Minnesota had some heavy rain events and the drain tiles couldn't keep up. Made it interesting to think of what waterfowling was like for my grandfather and his buddies.

Also, you can go to a lot of decoy shows and run into people that have some of the old titles and magazines for sale. Also, check out the shelves at your state parks and Federal refuges.

Marshmaster