Best way to detect pellets in goose breast

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by fowlwhacker, May 18, 2016.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I regularly make jerky out of goose or venison. Despite using a meat slicer to cut the jerky up to 1/8" I have been finding more and more pellets lately after marinating the sliced goose meat and when I go to put it on the dehydrator. On rare occasions I or others have found one biting into the meet and on one occasion I friend broke a tooth. I have always warned folks that the goose jerky may have a pellet in there and they always say there is no way a pellet can be in a meat sliced that thin.

so after finding two pellets this evening as I loaded the meat on the dehydrator I thought I would see if anyone has found a good device such as an inexpensive metal detector to use. I have a stud/metal detector that I use on the walls on occasion and thought of trying that on the next batch of goose breast but wondered if anyone had found anything else to try.

Appreciate any advice!

2. papacharlie

papacharlie Senior Refuge Member

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Rare earth magnet

They do make 'pellet finder' gadgets

API likes this.
  4. Sink Old Boy

Sink Old Boy New Member

Hi Garrett Metal Detectors Makes A Pro - Pointer Hand Held That Will Detect As Small As A Staple -- This Would Work On BBs In The Meat--.Thanks Sink Old Boy --

5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

When breasting the birds, look for wound channels. Take a 10 penny nail (or similar) and flatten out the last inch (pointed end). Insert the flattened end into the wound channel as far as the wound channel goes and give a constant twist as you withdraw the nail and the shot will come out. I've done this with birds as small as dove up to and including geese.

6. heveshot

heveshot New Member

Shoot 'em in the head :)