Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Best way to get started....

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Joe Dirt, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Elite Refuge Member

Student at Pensacola Bible Institute, home's in No
    SO, what's the best way to get started into the world of taxidermy? I'd love to have it as a side job someday! Thanks, Joe:cool:

2. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

Joe,

First off, hang out here! There are already quite a few knowledgeable guys here and it should continue to grow. I plan on starting threads for the beginners and then let the experts jump in.

Like it was mentioned earlier, there are some great videos out there to at least take the "mystery" out of it. Jumping in on a bird is the best way, get those hands dirty! Lots of practice and exposure developing your own style is a must. Ask lots of questions!

3. ben schroo

ben schroo Elite Refuge Member

get your hands on manuals/videos. i found them very valuable when i first started. i basically found all the info i could and soaked up as much of it as i could. i'll skin out birds just for the hell of it. practice is good anytime. even birds that are all shot up, or all the others that i breast out, i'll skin them, as i was skinning a bird for a mount. like harli said, get your hands dirty

4. scw8998

scw8998 Senior Refuge Member

A good way to start is get videos and books but you wont learn everything from them.I say the best way is to try to find a taxidermy school or someone that does taxidermy that will show you some stuff.Most of the tools dont cost that much.One way to learn a little bit is go to www.taxidermy.net and www.jimallred.com, both of them have forums explaining procedures.If you get started and have any questions,you can pm or email me.Ive been doing taxidermy for about 8 years and have been fulltime for a little over 2 years.

5. muthagoose

muthagoose Elite Refuge Member

There are only 3 main ingredients for taxidermy.Desire,Study and most of all PRACTICE... Just as with calling the guys who say this is good enough are the ones crying .. My next mount is my best .Because we learn from our mistakes....
    Use hacker birds for practice and dont be afraid to round file a hack mount..
    Videos are good books are ok the best is to join your states taxidermy guild and go to seminars.. Even better is to be able to watch someone .. But we all know how likely that is unless!!!
    we use a freebie site to chat and have little online seminars this has been a huge help to those who want to ask a question and get a answer right away.
    http://msnusers.com/kiwis.chat
    A buddy and I started to compile our taxi net chat buds together here when the taxi chat went down..
    There are some of the best in there in the evenings Yox,Gaither,Rittle,Finnanzo,ect I am sure you get the idea. Its not a sponserd site from any of us.Its a freebie msn site. However join and put a link to your site on here anytime kiwi and I are always glad to have new friends .....If the link dont work drop me a line and I will send you a invite. Muthagoose@hotmail.com Once again this is not a site to sell anything..Just a bunch of us taxis in there haveing fun talking shop ..A fair warning we do like to tease each other so if you can give it be ready to take it,,,... Looking forward to seeing ya there....

6. Chuckcnctaxi

Chuckcnctaxi Senior Refuge Member

I am a regular on the www.taxidermy.net forum If you're on there I have not seen "muthagoose" as an author of posts. What name do you go under? I probably have talked with you before. You know the right names -Yox,Finazzo,Rittel,Gaither. How about George Roof, Stephan Savides,Rummans,Borkowski,JohnC (theres a character)?Amy Ritchie -that girls gonna be famous real soon,nice work on small (tiny) mammals. Have you seen her tiger cub?Awesome work for a 16 yr old.