Better refuge managment

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by ducky911, Jan 26, 2018.

1. ducky911

ducky911 Elite Refuge Member

Here is a started a petition "State of California : Help Stop the Decline in Waterfowl Habitat in California" and wanted to see if you would be willing to support this cause by adding your name.

Our goal is to reach 1,000 signatures and we need Your support! You can read more and sign the petition here:

https://www.change.org/p/state-of-c...ium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

2. Black Max

Black Max Senior Refuge Member

It's a start but I'm not a fan of a habitat committee run by CDFW. Many things that are occurring on our public lands would not be tolerated in a private setting. Folks would be fired.

3. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Who started this petition?

Before folks decide to do something like this they should really get some of the facts first from the folks who run these places. First of all there has not been a decline of habitat at Volta or Los Banos. That is ridiculous they are on this list.

Those refuges are managed very well and have gradually improved from where they were in the 90's. Especially Volta. That place has grown up considerably and now has an established sanctuary that holds birds over there. Much of the refuge is covered in swamp timothy and it shoots much more consistently now then it did years ago. This year Volta had 3 major rehabs that were necessary. Next year those units will look good and folks will hopefully understand why rehab is so vital providing it is coupled with correct water management.

Los Banos is managed beautifully. Perhaps the folks who started this should actually go see the refuge and tell me where it doesn't have quality habitat. There are multiple grass fields on that refuge that have premier duck food. In addition, the water structures on that refuge have been replaced gradually over time improving the delivery of water to many areas of the refuge. It is one of the more water efficient refuges in California and utilizes recycled AG tailwater to help augment watergrass irrigation during the summer. It also has a nice delivery of early water to help support early migrants in which many units get imprinted early providing important habitat in the early fall. Check out the CWA Magazine in which Bill Cook was applauded for his outstanding efforts during the drought at keeping that refuge thriving. His efforts have been monumental in managing Los Banos and Volta. His colleagues have done an equally outstanding job at the North Grasslands Wildlife Area. To suggest they don't have quality habitat and need something done about it is complete nonsense.

Where were the advocates of this petition when the Public Meeting has been held the past few years? Maybe if folks knew the real challenges of water deliveries, habitat degradation of the drought, etc. they would understand enough to not send out a petition like this. It always helps to have facts first before you make generalizations and lump places in together. Every place has its own unique set of challenges and circumstances. Blocking all of them into a petition isn't going to solve any problems what so ever.

So I will refrain from signing this. If you want to talk to me personally about where the challenges reside in the Grasslands I can help you with some of that. Every place has challenges and if the concern is to help remove obstacles so Managers can do their jobs more effectively I'm all for that. However, I'm not going to call out places that have stellar habitat as needing help when they are already doing a fantastic job. The biggest threat to our wetlands is the politics being played with the water. So the CVPIA challenge is better suited for a conversation with the Water District (Ric Ortega) and some Assemblyman, Congressman or Senators. We need political throttling to generate enough horsepower to make legislation happen to protect our water supplies.

Kevin

4. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

The only place I see dog feces is on the NVR's...........

freefall and Brottboss like this.
  5. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

you sugar coated the dog feces IMO.

6. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Frosted dookies

7. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

:rolleyes:

8. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Also if whoever wrote this letter is a past VP of the Grasslands Water District then they should know most of what I just wrote. While the drought created a whole list of challenges for all of the managers, I think we saw some excellent management displayed that kept the ship afloat during that time. I'm seeing some improvements already from having an improved water supply in 2017.

In addition, there have been some grants recently approved that will go even further improving water supplies to the Grasslands and revamping some systems enabling them to use recycled water from sewage treatment plants. Lots of good things happening that need to be highlighted that were all discussed by the GWD at the public meeting last September.

These folks deserve more credit than they get from folks now days. I hear lots of complaining but the refuges have waiting lists and we can't seem to draw reservations. I think the customer base likes what is happening on most of these places. I think improvements are a great idea and this is a start but please get your facts straight as well.

You might also want to correct all the spelling errors on your petition as well. I think that will help get the message across more professionally.

Kevin

9. deltahunter

deltahunter Senior Refuge Member

That's a tough read. I'm sure there may be some valid points but I am not as knowledgeable as I should be on a lot of this. And I would never put my name on anything so poorly written. It makes us all look a little less intelligent,

Tommyo and Captain Jim like this.
  10. schmidtty

schmidtty Senior Refuge Member

Calikev - great input. You should give Jeff a call in case he doesn't read this. He could use your help!