Better refuge managment

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by ducky911, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

The Kerry letter was circulated to me earlier. Not sure if I am aligned to a level of comfort with the positioning set forth there. I will keep an open mind while hoping to learn more on the subject and determine the preferred actions that may be needed. How is that for diplomatic?

2. ducky911

ducky911 Elite Refuge Member

Yes, drive it twice at best a week but also sit in the blind and watch. It has always been a late flood but when flooded birds would pour in. My education on management is lacking for sure (have ran and owned clubs in the past though) but I do believe my observation I wrote are accurate.
    I have seen some really nice looking clubs, joined a couple of them, that shoot poor.
    Kevin has stated that the place looks perfect...ducks disagree!
    For very selfish reasons I hope for the return of the teal that boarded where I shoot.
    Wish I had some pictures to back up my personal observations.

I would be surprised if the lack of ducks in this area is not directly related to food.

3. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Teal? What is that?

4. Refugee

Refugee Senior Refuge Member

So basically, you want their habitat management to be based around improving the shooting for your club.

5. mjcook6

mjcook6 Elite Refuge Member

It has been the top 1 or 2 bird at the West side NVR pretty steady since early december.
    I dont recall them hanging around up there like they did this season.

6. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I didn't say it looks perfect. Not sure where you got that from but didn't say that. I said the habitat is good considering where it could be without Bill's leadership. I've seen the place under different leadership and it wasn't pretty. What I was trying to convey is we don't need to lump it in with some of those areas. The habitat at Volta is great compared to many other places. It isn't a cockleburr jungle. Got early water on a ton of units, managed for moist soil more than many places, mowed well, spot disced as needed and the roads repaired/maintained. The refuge is essentially unchanged from what it has been for many years now. Nothing much changed other than 3 major rehabs that impacted quite a bit this year. Taking those out of rotation didn't completely take that place off the map though as there were still birds there.

I can show you some premier areas in the Grasslands that never shot a lick this year. Beautifully managed, water at the right times, everything seemingly poised to have a banner year and never shot a lick. Now why is that? Other places nearby shot ok but yet some of those places didn't have their run.

Volta had its run. I was there for it despite what you think. Some afternoon flights over there this year were spectacular and then some mediocre. Was it 2012? Probably not but neither were most places. Some places this year shot great almost all year while others had a run that ended almost as quickly as it started. My point is if you want to take a bike ride in the summer this year and go to each unit and see how they are managed I'll do that. The food was there. Almost every unit had good timothy production. Several other units had good smartweed production. 3 primary units were rehabbed which basically is sacrafice one year for the better long run play with those units. That's how it is done.

Not sure what more I can point out but that is my take on it. I think Jeff has good intentions but just needs to outline specific units if he wants to lump in Volta and Los Banos. I hunt those areas often and ride them during the summer as well. There are good things going on despite the challenges. Could things be better? Yes they could. Hopefully that is the focus and not trying to tear down the whole program because some folks don't like the numbers the sanctuary was holding. Like I said that refuge didn't have a sanctuary for many years. Be glad there is something there now.

green with ring and blackdog58 like this.
  7. Sprigger 04

Sprigger 04 Senior Refuge Member

If Cook had the money/water to make a refuge better he would. Depending on who takes his spot the level of care will really give you something to complain about.
    Sorry as a private ground hunter the refuge system is not meeting your standards!

wood walker likes this.
  8. RemSpt58

RemSpt58 Elite Refuge Member

@ducky911

How many days did you shoot Volta?

I’m assuming you know a thing or two about habitat management since you started this thread circulating the petition. Just keep on working on your clubs habitat management until neighboring clubs and Volta’s border no longer affect your club because it’s a duck haven. Maybe apply for the position that will be open.

Of all the guys I wouldn't argue about Grassland Refuge Management with, it’s Calikev. I’ve been on here for 17 years, I think, and not once has he ever not wanted the best for grassland refuges and hunters there. If the rest of us were as involved as he is we’d all be better off.

I’ll say it again, CWA wrote an article prior to the 16-17 season recognizing how well Mr. Cook was able to manage those refuges during drought.

9. Reverend

Reverend Refuge Member

Refuges should improve the hunting for every hunter in the state if they are performing the task that they were created for. The question that this petition is attempting to ask is whether or not there is adequate support and attention to that task? Kevin makes a case that the answer is emphatically yes with respect to Volta and Los Banos refuges and the rest of this forum seems to agree that we are getting our money's worth from the refuge system, (albeit maybe less money than should be spent). I'm glad that you're happy! Enough said.

ducky911 likes this.
  10. Reverend

Reverend Refuge Member

Thank you for the offer Kevin. I will try to take you up on it to become better educated about Volta. I know that our swamp timothy was thicker than a 1970's shag carpet this year but we didn't hold birds as well as years past when it was less productive. It was a different year for bird behavior I guess. I'll try to reach out this summer.