Better refuge managment

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by ducky911, Jan 26, 2018.

1. schmidtty

schmidtty Senior Refuge Member

In a nutshell, yes.

ducky911 likes this.
  2. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I think that is the case with this year on a lot of places. We had some quality habitat on some of the public areas that just never really got going or did just in the past couple of weeks. We can control a lot of things but migration isn't one of them. Thus.........another plug for why we need to protect, preserve, fund and enhance more State projects that produce ducks vs. relying so much on winter migration.

I asked the question before on what would happen to the Grasslands if gw teal took a dive? They are Boreal Forest nesters and if that habitat ever is jeopardized then it would shut down a big portion of folks hunting in the region. Do we all feel comfortable knowing that protection in Canada is taking place to protect such an important region for the Grasslands? I feel like it is problematic to have all of our eggs in one basket and we should be spending more dollars here within California trying to create more nesting, brood, summer habitat to bring ducks up here. It should start in NE Cal. If the Klamath is done then what could we do at other areas like Ash Creek to offset some of the production needs? How can we secure water to do so?

How about UBB wildlife areas and Gray Lodge producing more? Less rice and more nesting, brood habitat? More aggressive management across both ends of the Valley to produce waterfowl vs. putting all of the stock into feeding them and housing them during the winter. Ideally you have both but that is where I am at. I fear someday the gw teal takes a dive and we might be in serious trouble.

Kevin

canada, letmwurk and lonely goose like this.
  3. DUCKTWK

DUCKTWK Elite Refuge Member

Don't forget about DOTA!

4. RemSpt58

RemSpt58 Elite Refuge Member

Mendota sucks! Shhhh

lonely goose likes this.
  5. lonely goose

lonely goose Senior Refuge Member

I don't know but have you seen the birds that come out of lot 1 ?

DUCKTWK likes this.
  6. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Put NOPI habitat in the closed zones... Make tules, smartweed, timothy, watergrass, and sago, lots of sago, units in the hunt areas....

7. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

Better yet make all closed zones permanent wetlands with lots of adjacent upland cover to foster breeding. Make the hunt areas the seasonal wetlands with the food.

Dan Mallia and Winchester 1897 like this.
  8. RemSpt58

RemSpt58 Elite Refuge Member

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve hunted out of that lot.

9. Reverend

Reverend Refuge Member

I have to admit that I have been puzzled by the massive reduction in, "local mallard", production. Back around 2000 I was living in a development near the bay on a large waterway and for three years I watched mallards raise two and three broods of ducklings per season. At that time there was also a high end shopping mall with water features that were completely taken over by mallard sexual escapades and with subsequent broods of ducklings. There was nothing done to initiate the massive amounts of breeding and nothing changed to end it, but our in state mallard production has been reduced by a huge percentage. I feel like there is still much we don't understand about it and that maybe it's a cyclical deal.

10. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Could be a case of diminishing return as well. How can we continue to lose nesting habitat and brood water and expect to sustain the same breeding population of ducks here? It isn't possible.

So many nails in the coffin............Klamath, drought, agriculture changes..............list goes on and the end result is fewer birds being hatched. Yet we spend 2 months chasing the few that are left or whatever early migrants trickled in. How do we produce more with the lands we have available?

Kevin