Bfg ats

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by victorlvlb, May 31, 2013.

1. victorlvlb

victorlvlb Elite Refuge Member

Whats the best tread pattern? It seems to me they have more then a few tread patterns. I hunt on sand, water , ice over mud , mud , and need a good quiet tire on the highway.

2. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

The BFG AT's are a good all around tire. I ran them once on my 88 f350. They were 35x12.5x16.5. I did a lot of mudding and found that they just filled up with mud. Never had anything but BFG MT's since. There were plent of times I didn't have to put my truck in 4 wheels drive with the MT's when my buddies had to put their stuff in 4 wheel drive. They are a decent ride and not all that loud compared to other brand mudders that are more aggressive like the super swampers. As long as you rotate your tires they ride pretty smooth and quite in my opinion.

3. victorlvlb

victorlvlb Elite Refuge Member

fowlwhacker

Thanks for the reply. Ford has a BFG At, tread pattern that looks weak, while Discount tire has one that seems more aggressive to me. I just wondered if anyone else had the same problem. I'll ask to see the MT's tread pattern.

4. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

As has already been said the popular BFG AT KO are pretty average tires...until you get them into mud. Then they clog up and become useless. They gave a rough ride on my old truck. I feel that like most AT tires they are nothing more than an aggressive looking street tire with a worse ride.

5. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

Never been a fan of AT tire period. In the mud they do not perform well and on the road they ride rough. My advice is either go street tire or MT based on what you are going to realistically do more drive off road or on the road.

Mayes

6. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor

Like I have stated before, with my dad owning a service station and wrecker service for 35 years I learned a bunch about what to buy and what not to buy.....BFG, goodyear, etc aren't worth the money. Do some research on-line about tread wear rating and then look at some tires that aren't the big name tires that have nearly twice the tread wear rating that the BFG's have for the same price, they will last twice as long and be better tires. My dad used to sell Remington tires and they were the same exact pattern as Dunlop and they were made by Dunlop and a great tire. I know I got 35k out of the BFG's that came on my truck. That is a joke!

7. ILPLATEBOAT

ILPLATEBOAT Elite Refuge Member

^^This^^. I bought a set of BFG AT's for my 06 silverado. The road to my house is gravel, the road to my duck club is gravel. Similar story. These tires were absolute junk at 30K. I would never own another set. I since have switched to Toyo Open County MT's on one set of rims, and Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on the other. Love both sets, but get ready to dish out some $$$.

8. DaveT

DaveT Senior Refuge Member

I've had bfg on my last two trucks I think it's a great all around tire quiet on the highway does good on trails and in mud is it a mud tire no it's not but it does a good job. Keep you rpm up and they do not clog. If some one make a tire that last twice as long let me know. the last ones I had went 80000 miles if your not getting good mileage out of them you need to get your truck aligned. Get it aligned by someone who knows what they are doing not the cheapest alignment in town. Then rotate them when you are suppose to. Make sure you have good shocks on your truck or they will cup up very fast.

9. BaRtMaN

BaRtMaN Moderator Sponsor

It is all in the tread wear rating, read up on this before you buy tires....all tires aren't the same...you can buy 30K mile tires 60k mile tires and 90k mile tires...here is the trade off....softness of the tread. High performance sticky tread tires that are very light from the factory for better milage etc are 30K mile tires. The highly sticky High Performance cornering tires are 30K mile tires. If you want something that will last get the harder tread (they don't make noise) because of the hardness that last 85-90K depending on how heavy your right foot is...lol! Just do some research on this stuff before buying.

There are many great tire companies out there that you can buy 4 tires for the price of 3 goodyear or BFG's as you are paying for their advertising and the name. Hancook makes great tires as does Dunlop.

10. ILPLATEBOAT

ILPLATEBOAT Elite Refuge Member

So youre telling me that when I bought my truck brand new in 06, threw the stock bridgestones in the garage, and added BFG's and new rims that my truck wasnt aligned from the factory, and that rotating the tires every other oil change, (6K miles), wasnt sufficent enough? And that 10 ply E range tires should have CHUNKS of tire missing from normal driving? No sir. The tires are garbage at 30K.