BGB blue norther ?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by sewergoon, Jan 16, 2013.

1. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Had a Herter’s one...band fell off...Mike sold me a new call with stainless band for $60...sold both to someone many years ago...great call...one of 100’s I wish I had kept...

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I probably have a dozen BGB calls.

Mike was such a great guy that you couldn't help but like him.

I have two favorite memories of Mike. The first was a voicemail that he had left on my phone. the day before, and asked me to hunt Canada geese on a sod farm with a crew of guys. I couldn't make it, so the next day so he calls, and just as he started to leave a message someone says, " cover up". Mike put the phone down, and for about the next 3 minutes, I can hear the entire calling sequence....Greeting, Comeback,...set em in the decoys,...then I can hear him call the shot, ...shots being fired,... dogs being sent, cripples getting shot, guys celebrating, etc. I must have listened to that message 500 times.

But my very favorite memory of mike was when my dad was dying from cancer. My entire family had been sitting in the hospital while my dad was in the ICU (literally waiting around to die) for over a month. Mike was pretty sick back then, too, so he couldn't drive. he called and said, "hey, why don't you and your brother come up hear for a little break?" So, we drove to his house. he just received several hundred newly cut duck call components, and he stuck reads and corks in them, and we all took turns blowing them. We must have blown at least 100 calls. Of course mike would be doing a 30 note highball that would leave your ears ringing for days. My brother and I had been cooped up in the hospital, so we were just punchy from being there. It was a great gesture for Mike to reach out to us that way. Jack_zps3d89c537.jpg

Here is a pic from Mike's Place near Mound City ( you can tell that he's sick there because it was difficult for him to stand. He was a hell of good guy.

TOpdawg38, mudhen and Diver Slayer like this.
  3. TOpdawg38

TOpdawg38 New Member

what an awesome post! I enjoy collection the calls but never got a chance to meet mike. thanks for sharing.

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Thanks!

We met Mike for the first time when he was guiding a Slick mccullum's place in Stuttgart. He was from KC, so we really just remained friends afterward. Mike and Buck Gardner gave my nephew ( in the picture) calling lessons. He got second in the KC contest when he was 11. Hunter Grounds won first in the JR, and the Adult contests that year ( I think hunter was 15).

It was sad that Mike died so young

5. TOpdawg38

TOpdawg38 New Member

i would feel pretty good coming in second to hunter for sure. if you are familiar with mikes calls i had a few questions. if you would be interested in chatting some time feel free to reach out to me i sent you a pm.

thanks again for sharing!