Big Lake water level

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by Paul Bingham, Dec 7, 2016.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Funny thing was, back then farmers couldn't understand why anyone would waste time and money to shoot a duck. deer hunting was always sacred and only family was allowed to shoot durr. But ducks? "Go kill em all, son. I'm tired of those nasty basturds shiettin everywhere" was the usual reply.

2. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

Was like that with deer in So. IL until some guy walked up to a farmer and said "I'll give you $10000 if you'll lease me your woods to run some hunters through". Farmer jumped on the fact he now had $$$ in his pocket and more than a couple people killing his crop eaters....... Said "outfitter" was happy because he got his cash back by the second week by running 8 hunters through at $3000 each. Now the rest of the season was profit....including the 3 day gun seasons @ $5000 per...

I went from ~30000 acres to 60 in a little over 5 years as the leasing caught on. Up side is the quality of the durr are getting better cuz they aren't shooting everything with bone on its head when ya pay that kind of loot...

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

The resurrection of the whitetail deer has virtually killed small game hunting in TN. Believe it or not, I feel they are the leading cause of declining hunter numbers in many areas.

Redonthehead and Foxwood like this.
  4. Foxwood

Foxwood Senior Refuge Member

Same in MS, Bill. Everything's a competition now, no more fun hunts with family and friends.

5. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

The thing that hurt te worst is the sloughs that I used to duck hunt are now tied up in those high dollar leases and with the long bow season, they are off limits whne the birds normally use them. Might get one or 2 late hunts in if lucky on some but most just keep everybody out now...

6. arkansaw

arkansaw Elite Refuge Member

Really considering getting more into deer hunting and slowing down chasing the ducks!! There is A LOT less competition for deer and besides, my in laws own some deer hunting land that hold some really good ones.