Big pond or more ponds?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by The Old Taz, Dec 14, 2017.

1. The Old Taz

The Old Taz Senior Refuge Member

For sure, and thanks, it makes perfect sense and isn't hard to do with the way my land is. We bought this place to get out of the city and with the hopes to shoot a few ducks from time to time. But thanks to hard work, this forum and the expertise from you guys, it has become much more than that. Every response I get is appreciated and becomes a learning point.

So, thank you.

2. The Old Taz

3. The Old Taz

image.jpeg
    The main impoundment....

Brushbeater and DisplacedDuck like this.
  4. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Fordson or Ferguson? TO or TE-20?

5. The Old Taz

1948 Ford 8n....I love it. Started up today for snow plowing, -11 Celsius. Came with an all steel trailer with leaf springs, a blade, 2 furrow plow and a disk that runs off the 3 point. New tires front and back, always stored indoors...$2500. Just wish it was a 12 volt but I'm gonna have it switched over.

6. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

You said corn is not an option. Is that true even with CanaMaize? I thought that was short season enough to almost grow at the North Pole!

7. The Old Taz

Unfortunately my land is rented by a farmer. He is great with farming around my duck hunting and lending digging machinery but CanaMaize might be a tough sell. It is something I will research though and may plant (I just picked up a 2 row corn planter).

The problem with corn is that by the time it matures we are froze out (at least most years). In fact I still have 20 acres still standing with over 25% moisture.

Also, for some reason I never see a duck in my area after December 1st or so, not sure why. They are around but seem to fly 5 km to the west of me. Beans are good because they seem to mature early to mid November here and that's when the duck numbers in my area are pretty good. I see most ducks though in September and October.

8. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Senior Refuge Member

You've really done a good job with your place, impressive to see that you can make something out of a farm field with hard work.