Big turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by baker aka goosenut, Apr 29, 2016.

1. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

well for the second year in a row I killed a 30 pound turkey well just under 30. Didn't think easterns got that big. Anyways official numbers on the bird was 29 pounds 6 oz 1 1/4 Spurs 11
    Inch beard. Man I'm starting to real get into this turkey hunting.

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Pictures or it didn't happen.:dv

3. baker aka goosenut

Don't know how to post pics.

4. iawaterfowler

iawaterfowler Elite Refuge Member

Our Midwestern cornfed birds get big. That's for sure. I have buddies down south that can't believe that it's rare for our jakes to be under 20 lbs.

5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

PS - congrats on a great bird Baker.

6. baker aka goosenut

Thanks as crazy as I am for waterfowl hunting these turkeys are climbing in rank as more exciting to hunt then anything else. Nothing like having a big ole tom kicking the crap out of ur decoy it's exciting for sure.

7. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Nothing better than those grain fed toms and why shouldn't they be big?? Look at the bucks southern Michigan produces:tu
    Congrats on a dandy:tu:tu

8. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Had a farmer client, huntin' buddy in Montcalm County I took turkey hunting on his property, and I called him in a nice jake at 19#, and I hardly could believe itc:l He wouldn't have shot it, but it was his last chance to hunt with his farming!!:tu
    Shoot, then a year later a couple counties north, I get an old tom at 19# with dagger 1 1/2" spurs:doh

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Baker,

There are three boxes in this "reply to" box. To post a picture click on the "upload a file" button shown here. Navigate to the files on your computer and add photos. Then simply post the reply as either thumbnails or full size pictures.

If that doesn't work for you, you can PM me and I'll provide an email address for you to send the pics to and I'll post them for you. I would really like to see the photos.

Hunting turkeys is second on my list of things to hunt. Elk are number one. An elk bugle gets me slightly more fired up than a turkey gobbling at 5 yards. I know what you mean about getting into the turkey hunting! It's a lot of fun for sure.

10. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

Baker, That turkey is a "toad"...I would also like to see the pictures.

I've got a few in the mid twenties before and thought they were breaking the scale. This picture is one of them I've posted here before and is my favorite by far...believe it or not we passed on him initially looking for a "big one" and then after he came back and we put him on the ground... I said to myself what was I thinking!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    BangingBirds likes this.