Big Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Mallard, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Mallard

Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Hey all yall turkey hunters
    I was just wondering what was the biggest
    gobbler any of you have gotten?
    cya lata

2. Scout

Scout Senior Refuge Member

Here we go with the brag board! hehehe
    I personally shot a bird 2 years ago with my bow, that weighed 26lb 7oz. However, we have a big bird contest at our archery shop, and last years winner weighed 29#!!!!

------------------
    Don't get any on ya!
    Scout

3. YellowLabKS

YellowLabKS Senior Refuge Member

Did you check that 29# bird for fishing weights before you declared it the winner???
    Hehehe. The biggest bird I have ever killed was last year and it weighed 24+ pounds.

I personally don't get worked up about weight though, in fact that 24 lb bird is the only turkey I have ever weighed. If a turkey is long on beard and short on brains, I am going to shoot him.

4. Indy-Travis

Indy-Travis Elite Refuge Member

My biggest was also my first, and simply his bad luck rather than my "skill" that led to it. It was the opening day of my third season (the first two birdless, with a few close calls in the second year), and I had a friend (his first turkey hunt) with me. I managed to call in a flock of birds! several hens and seven toms! (One was a jake). They were on an adjoining property and we were 30 yards on our side of the fence, All seven strutted and gobbled for over 15 minutes just on the other side, when the jake finally came through a hole in the fence to look for the retarded sounding hen. I was going to take him when he cleared the briars along the fence, when a tom flew over the fence to cut him off. The jake turned tail and ran, and I smoked the tom, 27#, inch and a half spurs, and 11.5" beard. I had no idea he was that big till we started carrying him out, and have never killed a bird over 22# since. Consequently, my buddy still thinks I am death's shadow on turkeys, and I let him think that, but luck is my only excuse for most of the birds I get.

5. Mallard

Mallard Senior Refuge Member

WOW
    That is a really good bird Scout.
    I dont remember what mine weighted but i think it was around 18 pounds. But im only thirteen years old and in future years hopefully will get one that big. How big was the spirs and beard on your birds?

6. KYDUCK23

KYDUCK23 Guest

My biggest had 10.5 inch beard and was 24 pounds.
    KYDUCK

7. JN

JN Senior Refuge Member

Biggest was 24# bestwas 22# 2 beards 1 10 1/2 and 1 8 1/2 the spurs were 3/4 in.

8. river mallard

river mallard Elite Refuge Member

My biggest was 25 lbs. double beard(10 1/2 and a 7 1/2) and a 1 1/8 spurs.

9. Buckeye Quacker

Buckeye Quacker Senior Refuge Member

Hey fellas ,
    Beard length and weight really don't mean that youv'e got yourself a trophy, although I belive that they are all worth patting yourself on the back over. The real measure of a trophy is the birds spur length each year they get a little longer and sharper and start to curve at about three so when you get a bird that you can hang on a limb by his spurs that my friends is the one really worth braggin about . A boss Tom often times does not weigh over twenty pounds because he's worn off alot of his weight by the time season comes in by his constant breeding .
    Good safe hunting ,
    B. Q.

------------------