Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Big water/bad weather boating advice thread

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by billblack, Dec 13, 2010.

1. bad dog

bad dog Senior Refuge Member

a smart safe hunter lives to hunt another day.thanks bill for bringing this back up.bad dog

billblack likes this.
  2. billblack

billblack Refuge Member

I am going to try to put a lot of this information into one article/post to organize it for easier reference. Heck...it may become a publishable thing. Who knows...
    My belief is that reading and then thinking about situations is way better than coming face to face with some bad deal and having to think your way through it with no prior contemplation is better than going into it cold.
    Therefore...one thing that hasn't really been addressed in depth I would like to bring up is piloting the boat in bad weather and strategies for getting safely to shore.
    I'm going to put some ideas together this evening, but I would like to see some more discussion about this subject.
    AND>>>MORE STORIES!! Got a story that would help illustrate something important? Please post it. The more people that read this stuff,. the more safe folks we have.
    Thanks to everyone that has contributed and everyone that reads this thread.

3. huntinjunkie

huntinjunkie Senior Refuge Member

I'll add always use a STIFF wader belt if you use one. One that won't stretch...this allows you to cinch it down tight.
    Anchor always (two even better)
    Don't be afraid to beach.
    :tu

billblack likes this.
  4. mrdancer

mrdancer Senior Refuge Member

If you're in the middle of a lake and your motor goes down in rough weather, you have two good options.

1) anchor in place until the wind dies down. ALWAYS tie the anchor off to the bow, NEVER tie it off to the stern.

2) tie a drift sock to the bow and drift in to shore. Drift socks are relatively cheap, store easily in a small space and come in handy for a number of things. Drifting is a good option if the waves are a little too high to anchor in place, or if you want to get to shore quickly and safely. As with the anchor, ALWAYS tie off the drift sock to the bow when in rough waters. (Off-topic, but we always tied one to the middle of the boat for drift fishing, works great!)

Always best to boat with buddies and have another boat in the mix. If one boat has problems, the other boat/crew can come bail them out.

If the weather/water is looking pretty rough, call someone back home or at the dock before you leave the duck blind so that they know when to expect you and which direction/distance you're coming from. It is always a pain, and many times impossible, trying to call someone when you're fighting for your life trying to keep the boat afloat.

When the weather/water is warm (July/August) and you get a day with 40mph winds, get some of your buddies together and go out on a nearby lake and practice running in rough water. A 15' boat can handle surprisingly rough water if the pilot knows what they are doing. OTOH, an inexperienced pilot can probably sink a 25' boat in the same rough waters. Always good to have 1) an experienced pilot, and 2) an inexpensive small boat when out practicing in rough waters!

billblack likes this.
  5. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Try and make your run upstream/upwind from the ramp when possible.

6. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

I know a lot of guys take their Trolling motors off for hunting....why??

I keep mine on the boat for an "emergency" motor. Depending on where you are or how bad it gets, it will at least keep your bow straight and/or getting to the shore if you are too far from the ramp. Beach the boat and wait it out if need be.....also a spare battery just for it.

billblack likes this.
  7. eze

eze Senior Refuge Member

Yep trophyduck, my fishin troller comes off the front this time a year and the 45lb transom mount troller gets thrown on the blind. We run a hard blind so the camo trolling motor just gets strapped to the back portion of the blind and brushed up like the rest of the boat. It has saved me numerous times on dumb stuff like runnin outta gas. Hope to never use it in a serious situation but it's there and a charged spare deep cycle if I ever do.

billblack likes this.
  8. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

At least you put another back in it's place:tu
    I know folks who say "it's in the way" (or it isn't camoed)
    Camo it, it may save your life!

9. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

If I were hunting deep water from a boat, here is what I would have:

1. Inflatable PFD on at all times.
    2. A float ring rigged with a line to toss another hunter.
    3. A personal locator beacon (floating)
    4. A 30 minute road flare so if I made to shore I could start a fire.
    5. 2 baling devices, one that did not depend on electric power.

billblack likes this.
  10. eze

eze Senior Refuge Member

Do you guys trust the inflatable pfds in the extreme cold? I can remember our paintball days and CO2 can go crazy in the cold especially the little cylinders. We switched to nitrogen bc it doesn't change in weather variations. Been thinkin about getting the inflatables but I just don't know if they are trustworthy after sitting in a cold boat for months on end.