Big water/bad weather boating advice thread

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by billblack, Dec 13, 2010.

1. billblack

billblack Refuge Member

Well..everyone reading this made it through another duck season! According to some messages I have received this thread that so many have contributed to has helped some folks out of trouble. Thanks to everyone who has written, read, or talked about the information contained within.
    Stay safe for the fishing season too!

FOWLER267 likes this.
  2. pickadrake

pickadrake Senior Refuge Member

Possibly the best thread I've ever read on this forum....... billblack thanks for keeping it alive. MODS please make this a Sticky!!!

billblack likes this.
  3. FOWLER267

FOWLER267 Guest

Wise men learn from the mistakes of others. This thread has most likely prevented accidents and possibly much more.

billblack likes this.
  4. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

By popular demand, this thread is now a sticky.

MarkinMissouri and billblack like this.
  5. MarkinMissouri

MarkinMissouri Senior Refuge Member

So much good information.

Only thing I might throw in is to have an actual checklist of equipment. A lot of times we move stuff between boats, into and out of trucks, etc. Helps to avoid the "where's the xxxx? Back in the truck..." Conversation

billblack likes this.
  6. billblack

billblack Refuge Member

Thanks to all who have taken the time to read this thread, and kudos to those who have taken time to add to the knowledge accumulating within, and special thanks for making this a sticky. I am humbled that so many have read what we started here in honor of 3 duck hunters who perished on John Redmond Reservoir, as well as all those who have died doing what they loved to do, chase waterfowl on big water in bad weather.
    Here's to all of them and all of you.
    Now IS the time to start getting your 'ducks in a row' and getting ready to have the safest, most productive season ever.
    See you here in the fall.

7. justahunter

justahunter Senior Refuge Member

A little tip. If your drain plugs falls out and your boat is filling up with water get your boat on plane and the water will drain out until u can find tules to plug the hole. Ive been swamped by 40_50ft house boat waves an this is how i drained the boat

billblack likes this.
  8. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

We had to drain my boat like that this past monday. Bilge pump didn't work and we sat through two downpours that put a bunch of water in the boat. Pulled the plug and got on plane. Water drained and put the plug back in.

Keep a tool bag in your boat with some extra wire, drinking straws, WD-40, Sea Foam, a few wrenches, channel locks, vise grips, wire, zip ties, extra fuses, extra plug, extra oil and duct tape. All that stuff can fix you up in a pinch.

I have blown out carbs and got going again, changed shear pins, fixed a water inlet tube on an overheating motor and unclogged dirt dobber nests with just that stuff above.

billblack likes this.
  9. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

I put together a little tool kit as well, got one of those miniature Rubbermaid kits that is about 12 inches by 6 inches by about 5 tall. Got a full wrench set on sale at Harbor Freight, pliers, needlenose, large and small head phillips/flatheads, zip ties, paracord, a box cutter and got an extra copy of the motor user manual in a gallon ziploc. Probably a few other things too. The toolbox saved our asses when a bearing almost blew on the trailer in the middle of nowhere, and also came in handy for fixing up a throttle cable that came loose. Amazing how creative you can get when it comes down to it.

billblack likes this.
  10. CutnGut

CutnGut Refuge Member

If it's rough I'll undo the straps on my waders so I can shake them easier in emergency