Big water/bad weather boating advice thread

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by billblack, Dec 13, 2010.

1. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Do you leave your gun in the boat months on end too?

2. billblack

billblack Refuge Member

CutnGut -if you are wearing neoprene waders, you might want to read the first several pages of this thread. It is pretty well proven that neoprene waders can provide flotation and some warmth while you are in the water. This video is pretty telling:
    Thanks for posting. :tu

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

All of this info is great for operators, be sure to tell your crew a few basics prior to departure

Location of flares.
    Location of extra life jackets.
    Location of extinguisher
    Location of radio.
    Explain kill switch/gears/throttle.
    If you see water in the bilge tell me immediately.
    If you see a floating obstruction (floating tree, refrigerator, etc) wave and point, immediately, don't assume I see it.

The list seems long but really take about 90 seconds to go over and once they know they know. Reminders don't hurt.

All of your knowledge, skill and experience is worthless if you're incapacitated.

billblack likes this.
  4. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

may have been said already but inflatables are not approved for use below 32 degrees.

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Do you have a source for that information, I'm not finding anything on the CG Safe Boating site that addresses this issue. Thanks.

6. billblack

billblack Refuge Member

Montauker - Pgs 12,13,14,17 are where you'd find the discussion in Auto-inflate PFDs, along with some sources/resources about their performance in cold weather.

7. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

Got around to putting together a dry bag tonight. I've had it for a year, shame on me for not getting it set up. I included: a bit of kindling (lint and petroleum jelly), a lighter (both in ziplocs) two pairs of socks, fleece pants, a long sleeve t-shirt, gloves, hat and a medium weight coat. It is not much, but it will fit in my layout boat. I don't have room in it for shoes, so I am going to have to either find a different way to keep an extra pair somewhere.

It isn't much, but it's small enough that I will actually take it with me and it could be the difference between finding my body and finding me alive but hungry and cold.

billblack likes this.
  8. billblack

billblack Refuge Member

Hi folks,
    I am glad to see that so many folks have survived the summer. It is that time again, time for duck season and bad weather which brings me back to this thread again and again. I would strongly suggest that folks that haven't read the whole thread spend some time reading through it. Please read the first post in particular. It will give you an idea of why this thread has been read by so many people. There is a tremendous amount of useful stuff in those posts, some of which might save your life. That would be a good thing. You wife, your kids and your Mom will love you for it.
    There was an article recently printed in Wildfowl about this subject that is worth reading, but will not replace reading this thread. It's that important. We want everyone that sees this thread now to be around in March to add something valuable to it.
    I've got some things to add to this thread soon. Check back. Stay safe out there people!
    Here's the link from Wildfowl: http://www.wildfowlmag.com/waterfowl/duck-hunting-in-deadly-waters/

9. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Here's a goofy one that's saved my engine a few times. I keep a piece of weed eater line attached to my transom. It's stiff enough to be able to fish up pee hole on water pump pisser n remove debris so your engine doesn't overheat. It only takes a small pebble or mudd to make you overheat

billblack likes this.
  10. billblack

billblack Refuge Member

Hi folks -Another Veteran's Day.
    My respects and thanks to all who have served this wonderful country of ours.
    I would like to remind us all of this story that I have posted every year about the Armistice Day (the predecessor of Veteran's Day) storm of 1940 which killed around 200 people, about half of them duck hunters.
    I wish everyone a safe and successful season and would suggest that doing a little thinking (and reading) about safety might make the difference for some family that wants you to be there for them and for the next duck season.
    http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/day-the-duck-hunters-died/