Big water/bad weather boating advice thread

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by billblack, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jrp267

jrp267 Senior Refuge Member

Was out Friday 11/18/16 on a bigger lake. I run a 1648 with a 25 hp NCS mod v. My brother, my son, the dog, and myself. Adding up the weights we were about 100 under the total limit. But that was without the rain water that accumulated in the morning. We hunted till about 11. A friend of my brothers texted and said the wind is picking up and be careful. Those words would haunt us. We were well sheltered by the island we were set up by. With the snow and sleet you couldn't even see the waves out about 400 yards. We started to pack up after receiving the text. When we hit the open portion of the lake I knew we were in trouble. We hit the first set of big waves, the 25 could barely push us up over the crest. We skated down the back side. As we continued across the lake the waves got bigger. We were headed south with a north wind. About a hundred yards further and still a mile or so to the launch, we took water over the bow. The 25 just couldn't get us up the wave after that. The nose of the boat plunged into the next wave. And another rolled over the back.
    No one panicked, we were swamped. As the next wave rolled by my waders filled. I was in the back and it sunk considerably further. I immediately told my son to call 911. The motor still running I tried to maneuver. It was futile. I killed the motor so if we ended up in the water no one would be hit by the prop. 911 dispatches rescue. For 30 minutes we floated right side up with water rolling easily 3 to 4 feet over the gunnels in back and 1 to 2 in front. I was standing, my brother up front sitting. At this point I am the only one wet inside the waders. About a 1/4 mile from shore a wave hits at an odd angle and we capsize. My son immediately makes it aboard the bottom of the boat. I am relieved slightly. I however have become tangled in the long lines and am tied to the underside of the boat but able to hang onto the ribs. My brother was unable to get himself up either. All are wet. The phone heads to the bottom as deputies arrive. Still no one panics.
    They launch the rescue boat and after about 15 to 30 more minutes in the water we are on the rescue boat. This story isn't over. The rescue boat prop tangled in my bowline as it pulled away. Next wave comes over the bow the rescue boat. Immediately we redistribute weight and bilges are started. We arrive at shore. I was unable to stand due to hypothermia and the shear weight of the water inside my waders. After a bit of warm up time in the ambulances all were safe. The dog, well he thought it was just another day at the office. He kept going out and retrieving the dead ducks as they floated away. That was until they got gasoline on them. All in all we lost some gear. No guns lost, and most importantly no lives. Those life jackets paid off. I am buying a bigger deep v with a 60 on it. They should have it rigged by Friday. Hope the wind blows for next weekend.
    In hindsight, I made several mistakes that endangered people I love. I should have left earlier. I should have hugged the shore. I should have left gear behind. Or possibly stayed the night on the island. Maybe a different choice of location? I will have 2 bilge pumps in the new boat. Be careful, it happens quick. But never do I think I should have stayed home. Mother Nature showed her power to me on Saturday, and I dodged the reaper.

WidgeonmanGH, Tuleman and billblack like this.
  2. mrdancer

mrdancer Senior Refuge Member

3. billblack

billblack Refuge Member

Just a darned shame. May they rest in peace. Prayers for peace for the families and the quick return of the departed's remains to give them some closure.
    Be safe out there, friends.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Great story, jrp, and I hope we remember it the next time we are out in dicey conditions. Thank you.

5. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

JRP, that story gives me chills. What temp was the water? I don't do a lot of lake hunting but hugging the shore is key in smaller boats, it takes a lot longer potentially but can get you home safely. Gotta carry extra gas, just in case!

Glad you are home safe and getting a bigger boat.

6. jrp267

jrp267 Senior Refuge Member

Not sure on the temp, it froze the following weekend.

7. Duckkiller14

Duckkiller14 Refuge Member

Wow I really don't know if there is much else to say

8. Patodor

Patodor Refuge Member

I keep a sharp double edged knife in a sheath riveted to the back of the rear bench. It's there in case I run through a long line or fishing net. Won't do a lot if the motors already bound down, but may keep that next big one from coming over the transom otherwise.