Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Big water/bad weather boating advice thread

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by billblack, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

read the Boston Globe story......its insane a guide would let someone off on ground that will go under water, and then the guide drive the boat away!.... and to put the cherry on top....the only comment was from a snowflake who could NOT believe the ducks would even go to the salt water!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha

billblack likes this.
  2. billblack

billblack Refuge Member

Tragic trouble in bad weather on big water is not always the exclusive property of duck hunters or colder climes. Bass boats are NOT built for dealing with the kind of waves that can build on big reservoirs and lakes. Two tournament bass fishermen were missing on Lake Okeechobee, one was found alive but suffering from hypothermia, the other has yet to be found as of today, the 3rd day he's been missing.
    Let's be safe out there!
    http://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/lo...l-missing-after-3rd-day-searching/1010547001/

3. huntinjunkie

huntinjunkie Senior Refuge Member

I've always had good luck trying to think ahead to try and determine IF "this" happened then I would do "this." Really helps you determine what you should have on board and what you don't really need. It's amazing how many tragedy's can be averted by having an easily accessible anchor (heavy) with enough (3X depth) line attached and wearing your PFD from the time you step on the boat.

billblack likes this.
  4. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

one of the first rules I tell new guys that get on my boat...is DONT PUT ANYTHING ON THE ANCHOR or ANCHOR LINE!!!!!!!! then I tell them where we are leaving from and where we are going to hunt, and how to start the boat and where the safety equipment is....

dwhauss, ALMODUX and billblack like this.
  5. trck drvr

trck drvr Senior Refuge Member

A lot of good advice here on this thread..
    I have experienced some of the same bad events discussed here and survived (Thank God)
    but I had one close call I hvent seen mentioned yet..
    When beaching a boat on a shoreline and walking a beach to scout an area..step carefully, I stepped into what looked like a muddy/wet sandy shore area along a beach and sunk up to my neck and possibly only my shotgun turned sideways prevented going deeper.
    Alone on a beach in a backwoods swamp virtually immobilized up to my neck in wet mud/quicksand is a very scary place to be...and as you struggle and panic you only sink deeper!
    I finally felt a root under one boot and it was just enough and with my shotgun I was able elevate and roll down the beach..

I would rather be up in the woods now and fight my way thru thick woods/briars than to ever walk along another muddy/sandy unknown beach/shoreline alone again..

Good luck-be safe.

6. jrp267

jrp267 Senior Refuge Member

Just bumping this thread to the top. Read mynstory on page 24. I have decided I will reread it every year. It's been 2 years, when the wind comes up I hunt. But it definitely changed the things I do. Hope all have a safe season.

7. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Our family has always had boats, mostly fishing boats but a few duck boats.My uncle would take the newly purchased boat(when the water was warm)and test drive the boat and push it as hard as he could fast,rough water hard turns,to try and get a feel for the capabilities of the boat.I think it helped if for anything the confidence it gave you in the boat.
    Plus we always carried an extra battery,some wire,duct tape and most of the small tools and safety gear you would need.
    We also keep plenty of drinking water and some snacks if it's a long ride.

8. MuddyMunsters

MuddyMunsters New Member

I have a friend that hunts the Mississippi river. He REQUIRES everyone on board his boat to wear bright orange life jackets while the boat is in motion.
    I'm thinking I like that idea. Trying to find a camo life jacket in the dark would slow recovery.

9. Old Carver

Old Carver Refuge Member

Simple lesson learned a few years ago. I put the plug in the boat (I know I did). Famous words i know. We made it all the way across the lake and up into the shallows. I bumped somethings and felt a hard thump on the outboard. We started taking on water. I looked down and the drain plug had spit inward and was under the floorboard. My partner was quick. He jacked a shell in his 12 guage and shot in the air. (I'm thinking what the H....) he hands my the empty and yells "reach over the transom and stuff it in from the outside. The rim will keep it from going all the way thru." I did it quick. Amazing an empty 12 ga shell will work nicely.
    I have done this again on other occasions when I couldn't find the plug anywhere. Looked along the shore, found an empty, wrapped a piece of dry cattail around it and pound it in. When it gets wet the dry cattail wil swell and that buggers in tight. Has saved a cpl fishing trips that way. Now there are several spare plugs rattling around each of my boats. In a pinch an empty is the perfect diameter for the standard plug hole.

10. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

Excellent tip on the empty 12 gauge shell, just tried it works great