Big water/bad weather boating advice thread

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by billblack, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

read the Boston Globe story......its insane a guide would let someone off on ground that will go under water, and then the guide drive the boat away!.... and to put the cherry on top....the only comment was from a snowflake who could NOT believe the ducks would even go to the salt water!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha

billblack likes this.
  2. billblack

billblack Refuge Member

Tragic trouble in bad weather on big water is not always the exclusive property of duck hunters or colder climes. Bass boats are NOT built for dealing with the kind of waves that can build on big reservoirs and lakes. Two tournament bass fishermen were missing on Lake Okeechobee, one was found alive but suffering from hypothermia, the other has yet to be found as of today, the 3rd day he's been missing.
    Let's be safe out there!
    http://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/lo...l-missing-after-3rd-day-searching/1010547001/

3. huntinjunkie

huntinjunkie Senior Refuge Member

I've always had good luck trying to think ahead to try and determine IF "this" happened then I would do "this." Really helps you determine what you should have on board and what you don't really need. It's amazing how many tragedy's can be averted by having an easily accessible anchor (heavy) with enough (3X depth) line attached and wearing your PFD from the time you step on the boat.

billblack likes this.
  4. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

one of the first rules I tell new guys that get on my boat...is DONT PUT ANYTHING ON THE ANCHOR or ANCHOR LINE!!!!!!!! then I tell them where we are leaving from and where we are going to hunt, and how to start the boat and where the safety equipment is....

ALMODUX and billblack like this.
  5. trck drvr

trck drvr Senior Refuge Member

A lot of good advice here on this thread..
    I have experienced some of the same bad events discussed here and survived (Thank God)
    but I had one close call I hvent seen mentioned yet..
    When beaching a boat on a shoreline and walking a beach to scout an area..step carefully, I stepped into what looked like a muddy/wet sandy shore area along a beach and sunk up to my neck and possibly only my shotgun turned sideways prevented going deeper.
    Alone on a beach in a backwoods swamp virtually immobilized up to my neck in wet mud/quicksand is a very scary place to be...and as you struggle and panic you only sink deeper!
    I finally felt a root under one boot and it was just enough and with my shotgun I was able elevate and roll down the beach..

I would rather be up in the woods now and fight my way thru thick woods/briars than to ever walk along another muddy/sandy unknown beach/shoreline alone again..

Good luck-be safe.