Biggame Help

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by SkyCarp, Jan 23, 2003.

1. SkyCarp

SkyCarp Senior Refuge Member

If you could change anything or leave the same about Biggame hunting in Colorado, what would it be ???
    Season length, crowding, NonResidents, bag limits, price, etc....
    Need info for research writing class
    Thanks

2. Goose Pimp

Goose Pimp Senior Refuge Member

More tags, and less CA hunters

3. FamilyAffair

FamilyAffair Senior Refuge Member

How about resident tags that are valid for weapon - not season. Residents buy a Rifle tag - they can hunt any of the Rifle seasons until they fill the tag.

The need to open up access to public land. There are thousands of acres of BLM and State lands that cannot be accessed by the common hunter because the road leading to it is private property! BUT that same landowner has his high payin customers hunting and shooting on our public lands like its their own private land! And were not jsut talking little quarter sections - were talking multiple contigious sections of public land that are inaccessible! Anyone own a helicopter???

The Game wardens need to fine the Big Ranches that use their hired hands to ride the property lines and herd elk back into the centers of their property instead of letting them come across the fences onto public lands!

Guess those are my biggest gripes!
    FA

4. hunting4food

hunting4food Senior Refuge Member

I would have to second what FamilyAffair said, especially about the hired hand thing. I like the idea of residents being able to draw a tag and using it till it's filled. Would work great, especially for an over the counter tags. Is DOW trying to thin the herds or what?

Plus add....why is it that some hunters get preference points taken away when drawing a tag for a certain area and others applying for the same area don't need points or get no points taken away when drawing a tag? Fishy....like Game and Fishy!

My two cents!

5. bullbasin

bullbasin Senior Refuge Member

I would have to third what FamilyAffair and second what Hunt4Food are saying.

I would like to see the 3 methods of take stay the same, but lenghten the rifle seasons. I bow hunt and I woould love to see a tag avalible that if not filled I could hunt muzzle loader and the rifle.

6. EMan

EMan Senior Refuge Member

1. More dumb elk
    2. Naked Female DOW Officers (Mostly Ex-Hooters Employees)
    3. Archery Only for all Big Game
    4. 6 point restriction for ELK and 4 Point for Deer
    5. Public Land is all open

For Real

Cut in half the number of people hunting during our Antelope Rifle Seasons on Public land everywhere.

Put a drawing System in place for all Bull Elk.

7. SkyCarp

Okay guys I'm gonna level with you. I do need your opinions for a class I am in, but I also sent a nasty gram to all the members on the DOW Commission. Three have replyed and one wanted my phone number so that we can have a good talk about Colorado hunting. He said I brought up a lot of good points.
    Here is what I would like to see happen:

1. Limit NR hunters to no more than 20%
    2. Have one Deer season 3 weeks long (split season is OK too)
    3. A Youth Biggame season or
    4. Youths Preference points would equal parents
    5. All Bull Elk Tags by drawing olny
    6. Over the counter Resident Cow Tags good for 1 - 2 months
    7. With surplus money, buy access to blocked public land
    8. Promote special family hunts (Husbands & Wife's, Dad & Kids even when their older)
    9. Stock Pheasants on some SWA's, especially Youth area's

Please dont keep your opinions to yourselve's, I plan on passing everything to him, and using the info for a research paper.

8. FamilyAffair

FamilyAffair Senior Refuge Member

Good points SkyCarp!

But one thing I think all of us need to think about when talking about Buying access to public land. This past season I talked to a game warden and the local sherrif about access to public land (Some of these now off limits BLM areas I hunted before moving to colorado back in 1980's with my Dad).

Two major gripes

1) Why should we have to buy access to our public land. The local ranchers are leasing grazing rights on the land - not exclusive rights! also they are not paying much at all for this right (But dont try to bid against them - you can really **** off a whole county if you do that!) Then they keep the public out.
    2) A Lot of the roads leading to these BLM tracks or into the state forest were constructed with public $ and were public roads at one time!

Part of the BLM grazing/lease system should include free unrestricted access to the Public lands that they are leasing or that private ranches have surrounded.

The biggest part of the problem is that the big ranches in the NE part of the state are owned and ran by the local politicians, or out of staters with more money than they know what to do with - so they donate it to the politicians. (of course thats the problem with most everything else too :mad: .) and there is nothing that the local game wardens or sherrifs can do about it.

As for the youth hunts - the state DOW is really trying to do something positive there - they have several Youth only State Trust areas, and a few Youth only big Game hunts on the county lands here around the foothills of Denver - The could do a better job of publicizing it tho - you need to call the local offices to *discover* them.

OK Enogh venting for now!

FA

9. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

This is very interesting. I'd like to keep abreast of the info that results from this. It would be great if the DOW representative entered a dialogue with us on the forum. My own opinions are as follows.

1) Thus far, I have not felt crowded by NR hunters in the field. My understanding of the lottery system is such that I feel there is adequate preference given to in-state hunters. I feel they contribute significant $ to the DOW. However, I have been very upset with some of the behavior, and tactics, I have witnessed and read about perpetrated by NR hunters.

3 & 4) Both are great ideas.

5) Do you think this would change anything? How? A bull seems to be a needle in a haystack - at least in late seasons. I've never hunted early seasons.

8) Great idea.

What I'd like to add is that I feel the DOW should actually own rights to some of the water we use. With the recent drought and water issues I fear that some sportsmen's areas could be left dry and useless. I'd also like to see the walk-in access program map and identify some ponds available for use by waterfowlers.

Another issue that I feel is damaging big game hunting is the loss of habitat by home development in rural and mountain areas. often these new ranchette owners are adverse to hunters.

Great project SkyCarp. Good Luck.

10. SkyCarp

Alamosa,
    Can I hunt with you in whatever area it is you hunt !!!! Everywhere I hunt it seems to be bumper to bumper traffic and mountainsides checker boarded with Blaze orange. Each year I get closer to giving up on Biggame hunting in Colorado. Seasons are too short and too crowded for me. :(