Biggame Help

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by SkyCarp, Jan 23, 2003.

1. SkyCarp

SkyCarp Senior Refuge Member

EMan,
    No....I dont want Al Gore either, he would have turned all our public lands into National Monuments. But I think Bush can go too far as well with his stance on Wetlands, Grazing CRP land and mining and drilling on public lands (and I'm for drilling at ANWR). What I dont what to see is more Cow's & Sheep than wildlife, and blocked roads when I'm hunting. I dont like how these Ranchers can use our public land like its their own private land. I have nothing against public land being grazed as long as a Biologist can determine how much and how long.
    I am worried about losing my firearms because of Bush. Why...because of the creation of the Homeland Security Dept (we already had a Dept of Defense) and its new powers. What happens when the next Gun grabber gets in Office ? I think they're gonna abuse that new power and office to no end. And who created it....Bush did, after preaching the Gov't is too BIG during his campaign
    A democrat would have had ZERO chance at getting that Department created with a Republican Congress, because they would claim Big Brother was too powerful. I hope I am wrong about this.
    Sorry for Ranting

2. FamilyAffair

FamilyAffair Senior Refuge Member

Alamosa -
    Yes Access to the private landlocked BLM/STL land is a big problem up around Craig. And the areas I am talking about are sections or bigger in size. Two of the parcels that I really really want to hunt are each 1200+ acres in size! Every year we glass elk herds on them. Take out a Routt National Forest map and look at all the brown land that is surrounded by white (west, NW, and North) Especially north of Slater Creek. These are the ones that are private land landlocked. Now, most of these lands have 'roads' going into them, but the roads are considered private. Off all that public land, there are only about 3 parcels that are huntable! I bet there is 40,000 acres of public land that is off limits! I know this is also a problem in unit 27? Along Hwy 40 between Kremling and Rabbit Ears pass. Lots of BLM land to within 100 yards of the highway, but the landowners will not let you use their roads - lots of decent elk country up to the west of the road.

Another parcel is just a section (640 acres), but it joins up with National Forest land. Crazy thing is - its a 3 mile hike from either forest access to get there. but there is a road (installed by public tax dollars, but now considered private) that leads right up and into the BLM land. We scouted the area last year before elk season, saw elk and 3 gutpiles on the property.
    When trying to track down the landowner (We wanted permission to drive the road in the event we shot an elk - we'd walk in from the forest while hunting, but wanted to save 3 miles uphill packing out an elk), we were told that the landowner would let us use the road - for a small fee of $2000 EACH PERSON! and it had to be paid before the season opened. When we went to discuss this with the game warden, he said there was nothing he could do about it. That was 2000 just to be able to drive across their road one time to pick up an animal shot on public lands!

Supposedly the rule is If there is a public road going through the BLM there is no problem with hunting the land. If there isnt a public road (or access via other public property like national forest), then your screwed. My Dad and I have talked to the game wardens in the area and they are as frustrated as us, but they state there is nothing they can do about it.

3. hunting4food

hunting4food Senior Refuge Member

FA,
    I have run into the same thing up around Craig. There are many state roads with a numbered sign and everything that have gates across them, marked "private". This year I got brave enough to go thru one of the gates, only to find another "locked gate" about a mile in. When we talked to the landowner in the area he said that he only gave his friends access thru the locked gate. We didn't argue, but the first Game Warden we saw sure got an ear full. There had to be a good 1500+ acres of prime elk country back in there that no one can get too. And, once again the Warden said there was nothing he could do.
    FRUSTRATING!:mad:

4. FamilyAffair

Ahh someone who can feel my pain.

:mad:

5. greenhead slayer

greenhead slayer Senior Refuge Member

hunting4food,

i know of a place just like that above craig/lay/maybell.... i wonder if its the same area.

it is frustrating, it's marked, it's not marked, there's a fence, there's no fence.

there should be public access to all public land. seems pretty simple to me.

6. hunting4food

hunting4food Senior Refuge Member

greenhead, the entire area is like that....north, south, east and west of Craig, Hayden and Meeker. I'm sure it's like that across the whole state. DOW called me last night doing their elk hunt survey, I let them know how displeased I was.

7. SkyCarp

SkyCarp Senior Refuge Member

This is my favorite story I know of. Two seasons ago a buddy of mine got a ThreeForks Ranch "Ranching for Wildlife" Cow Elk tag. He shot his Elk on BLM land that was only accessable through the Ranch. That is BULL$H!T in my book.
    I think it would be funny if the Gov't would turn these blocked off Public Lands into National Parks with no Livestock, hunting or anyother use allowed.
    If I cant hunt on them what do I care

As for STL properties, I think if the State wants to lease grazing or mineral rights on them thats OK, but I think we should be allowed to access them like public land, because thats exactly what they are.

8. greenhead slayer

greenhead slayer Senior Refuge Member

i've hunted ranching for wildlife the past two elk seasons, and the way i understand it, legally, you need to be on private ranch property - not BLM, whether it's accessible or not.

(#100 :D )

9. FamilyAffair

Two years in a row with RFW! Lucky Greenhead!

The crazy thing about STL Lands. The DOW leases the land from the state to allow public access to the land. Doesnt that sound messed-up!

If you talk to the guys who go on the RFW hunts - you'll see that most of them get to hunt the Perimeter of the private property, and most are told exactly where to go and where to move. Granted most fill their tag the first morning if they listen. I know that Snake River has a big sign-in sign-out process for the RFW hunters one for the morning hunt and antoher for the afternoon - you have to come out of the woods and re-sign up for the PM hunting! miss the drawing time and you dont get to hunt until the next 1/2 day. Some of the RFW might be different, but who do you think they are going to give the most help to - Someone who is hunting their property for free (because they have to let x of them hunt) or some guy who is paying them 4K for an elk hunt!

And as for the RFW must hunt on the private land - as far as the rancher is concerned - that private BLM - its their land and donw argue with them otherwise. WQouldbe nice to see the legalease on that tho greenhead!

FA

10. lad52

lad52 Elite Refuge Member

Just a thought, but if someone has public land that is landlocked and is leasing the grazing rights, that lease ought to be predicated on right of way to access.

Re; private landowners hearding elk to keep them off public lands (and I'm sure it happens), isn't this illegal? If / when reported, are the game wardens serious about doing something about it?