Biggest hassle with placing decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Blindman14, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Blindman14

Blindman14 New Member

Fairly new to duck hunting but fell in love with it immediately. Been working with some Avian-X decoys and as you can imagine the waters are frigid out here in Colorado. Just wondering what y’all think are the biggest hassles of emplacing your decoys?

2. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

To me the coldest part of any duck hunt is winding up the decoy lines after an evening hunt.

black brant and Ringbill like this.
  3. Blindman14

Blindman14 New Member

I found that out the hard way. 13 degrees and the pond was iced over. Got water in my waders and toes started to freeze up. Terrible first hunt.

4. how45hard

how45hard Senior Refuge Member

I bring 2 pairs of gloves every hunt, the 2nd pair is for picking up decoys. Also using mono line on your decoys helps because it doesn't absorb water like normal decoy line.

black brant likes this.
  5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

If picking up from a boat, the wind is the devil's device. A six foot section of closet rod with a storage hook screwed into one end is mighty handy. At least you can snatch several before the wind blows you out of position. The extendable decoy retrievers are nice and I use one in certain situations but fully extended to gather as many decoys as possible, I tend to poke my son who is in the stern with paddle or motor to the point that he gets retaliatory.

Ringbill and Blindman14 like this.
  6. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

Any form of divers gloves or neoprene,I use them in the morning only if necessary but make sure they are dry for the pickup I have 6 pairs or gloves that are with me on all cold hunts.

Ringbill likes this.
  7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Vaseline is a old mothers trick for her kids that get windburn. It works great on your face and ears but rub the rest into you hands. If you have to drag the dog in or get your hands wet, you will notice that water doesn't soak into your hands, thus they stay warmer.

I have thin shooting gloves plus handwarmers in pockets for the cold days and the PVC coated gloves for decoy pick up and running the boat.

Ringbill likes this.
  8. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I regular boat paddle with a narrow cut in the paddle blade is real handy for snagging decoy line.

Thick decoy line is easier on the hands then the thin stuff.

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I wasted flat stupid money on gloves of all description over the years before settling on these $4 wonders:
    IMG_3086.jpg

They're cheap enough to keep pairs stashed most everywhere they might come in handy, and the cuffs are notched to make it so easy to pick them up and slip them on that it's no bother to do so before even the briefest wet task, like accepting a wet duck from the dog. So there's no reason to ever have wet hands. They're even a lot warmer than one would guess, but for really cold work, bust open the piggy bank and get some $7 surplus wool glove liners to wear under them.

spg, Pastor and Ringbill like this.
  10. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

As mentioned, figure out your decoy gloves----most important. I've got Finnish commercial fishing gloves that are lined & superb for extreme conditions---but costly. I also use "Atlas #490" for most of the seasons decoy & dog work.
    Also as mentioned, make up some decoy grabber poles ----ones that float!
    I use 1/2" PVC pipe----buy 2 ten foot pieces. cut 40" off each piece, then glue them together. now you have 3 pieces, 80" each. tape the ends shut----really well, & they'll float.
    Next, take a 20 penny nail---into you vice, cut off the head, then with a hammer, hit & bend that end in a hook.
    Next, tightly tape the shank to the end of your pipe & you have a $3 or cheaper decoy pole----x3!

Ringbill