Biggest hassle with placing decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Blindman14, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

To the original question of biggest decoy deployment hassle, the worst I sometimes face is making a place to float them. The move to Southwest Louisiana largely eliminated breaking ice but replaced it, in my case, with having to clear floating marsh from my blind's pothole. In wet years, it may only take a few hour or two long visits to break it up and get it to stay down, but dry years are a bitch:

The blind is in that island of canes, and the task is to get the water under that floating prairie on top of it.
    2011season028.jpg

Which begins with breaking it up into a slurry with a Go-Devil prop and prop wash:
    2011-2012hunting019.jpg

Said slurry being being full of decaying humus and, subsequently, CO2 bacteria farts, becomes floating "black dirt":
    2011-2012hunting018-1.jpg

That will need broken up time and time again to release the gases supporting it:
    2011-2012hunting022-1.jpg

Until there's at least the sheen of water and thin facade of a pond over it:
    2011-2012hunting003-3.jpg

So it can take me days and days to get our decoys out, but sucks even worse to be the dog:

2. Rick Hall

A little closer look at the "pond" and Pup's situation:
    2011-2012hunting007-5.jpg

Just a little something to consider when breaking ice has you down, seems like someone or something always has it worse than us...

Fowler267 likes this.
  3. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I don't think I want to be your dog. :l:l

Ringbill likes this.
  4. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

My problem is getting to where I want to put the decoys. The wisdom of the powers in charge ban all motors from the swamps. So everything is by paddle.
    The local lake is a flood control lake so the draw down is 8-12 feet every year leaving shoreline cover non-exsistant. Any blind sticks out like a sore thumb. With the draw down there is no access avaiable to launch a boat so back to the canoe.

So either you bust your butt paddling through the swamp to get way back where the ducks are in the swamp, a hour and half paddle, or don't hunt at all. So your limited to the size of your decoy spread that you put out.

The lake is strictly a pass shooting scene. So you walk a mile to where the lake bottle necks down to shoot at birds that or may not be in range.

5. Rick Hall

Just another day at the office, "Yawn!"
    2011-2012hunting001-4.jpg

That guy is now semi-retired and just making cushy rice field hunts:
    011_1.jpg

But it's business as usual for his nephew out at the Mudhole:
    004_10.jpg

His first big entry off the dog stand there surprised us both some when he was initially stuck under the surface and thrashed like a tarpon breaking free.

Fowler267 and boodog like this.
  6. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Although you mentioned water, the biggest hassle for field hunting (for me) is deploying and picking up the decoys themselves. After deploying countless spreads from around 80 up to 2,000 decoys over and over again, convenience has become my biggest concern. I've gotten rid of decoys that aren't convenient. It's gotten to the point that I judge my decoy purchases on these criteria.

1. How many can I carry at a time?
    2. Do the stands/feet/stakes stay attached so I can just plop them on the ground?
    3. Do they need to be bagged?

If they're fullbodys and they need to be bagged they are out. Silo's and socks are ok to bag because they make up for that in deployment time. If you cant carry at least 6 fullbodys at a time and you can't throw them in a trailer unbagged it's not worth it for me. The fewer times things need to be touched the better.

2WIDGN and Ringbill like this.
  7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

If you think of deploying and picking up decoys as a hassle then you need to take up a new sport. :l It's all part of the fun in the hunt. :tu

Ringbill likes this.
  8. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I see you haven't snow goose hunted for a month straight (moving often) or deployed spreads of 500-800 fullbody canada's before. If you've done it enough these things come into consideration. Set up 500 GHG fullbodys with motion stakes with two guys...then set up 500 DOA fullbodys with two guys and see how much time each one takes. Especially if you have to group them up then bag them.

When snow goose hunting over big spreads of socks the fastest and best way to pick up is to drag the bag with you. Go in a circle that's large enough to pick up ~30 decoys from the bag then finish at the bag and put them in it. Grab the bag and drag it to the next group and repeat. When the bags full grab another. This way you pick up a full spread and bag them in almost the same amount of time as just picking them up and puting them in piles to bag later. Touch them once instead of twice. :tu

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

It's still part of the hunt, if you don't enjoy it why do you do it? Why not just pass shoot or bust ponds?

Ringbill likes this.
  10. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Looks like Tule Lake ponds Gene.
    2'' of water and bottomless MUCKY mud that dogs have problems getting though, you don't dare stepping into that swamp without holding onto the boat, even then you might come up bootless and stinky. :yes:yes:yes