Biggest hassle with placing decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Blindman14, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

We have lots of those bottomless lakes &bays up here in northern Minnie. We call it loons--t.
    Some of the best wild rice stands loves growing in that crap, with only a few inches or a few feet of actual water.
    Makes it hard to pushpole when there's no bottom !

Ringbill

2. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

Try Texas rigs if the water is shallow enough-that way you don't need to put your hands in the water or wind decoy cord.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I hate to give away my secrets, but Google "JD93058/XL". Best decoy glove I've found, and I've used just about everything that's been mentioned so far. And the price is right.

Ringbill likes this.
  4. Cedarlakeforge

Cedarlakeforge Refuge Member

If your wife really loved you she would set and pick up decoys for you :l:grvn :rolleyes: Just say,n

5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Its always fun getting decoy cord wrapped in the prop when setting decoys....

Ringbill likes this.
  6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Just puts more in your day.

Fowler267 likes this.
  7. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Senior Refuge Member

When it comes to setting decoys in below freezing conditions I like to hand place the decoys instead of tossing them. This helps keep ice from forming. You will have ice form regardless, this helps to cut it down.

If you cant wade use the wind. I'll get decoys unbagged and read to place. Get up wind and let it push the boat to where I want to set.

When it comes to picking up I highly suggest these gloves. I do a lot of trapping so I use mine a lot and they hold up. https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Wa...+Gloves/Bemac+Full+Length+Insulated+Gauntlets they offer a "polar paw" pair for a few bucks more. The link I posted will do just fine. My hands are always warm, never get cold. They also go up to your armpit. So if your hands got wet more than likely so did the rest of your body lol. Don't waste your money in neoprene "decoy gloves". They don't last and always end up leaking especially around the finger joints/seams.