Bighorn Sheep Tips

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Sasha and Abby, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

Going on my first sheep hunt in the lower 48 next month. Any tips you fellas can share? Just got the Montana tag today...

I have been trying to get into good shape all summer but I know I will never be where I want to be.

2. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

Get yourself a training mask. It won't prepare you for the altitude, but it will help get your lungs in shape.

3. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

Don't pass on one the first day that you would regret not shooting on the last.

4. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

I had a ewe tag here in Colorado last year and I noticed something strange.

The higher I climbed, the more spooky and wild and smart the sheep seemed to be (this was in the Sangre de Cristos)

I had done 5 or 6 weekends of scouting beforehand and I would drive by the tamest ones grazing along the side of the highway on the drive up.
    Above treeline they would bolt at the first sight of me - even if I was 1500 or 2000 yards away. Up at the highest lakes that the fly fishermen use they were wary and would not let anyone within a couple hundred yards.
    I wound up taking a stupid one from a herd standing on the trail about 1/4 mile up from my camp.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Where is your tag for, in MT?

bighorns around here are like the deer, no fear, close to people. We had a band in the front yard yesterday.
    Example:
    [​IMG]

This was taken out the window of my truck.
    [​IMG]

Assuming it wasn't area 270 (where I live) you need to be in shape. Sure, everyone says that, but they never are. Mountain shape, not gym shape. Put a 40lb pack on your back and climb the tallest, steepest slopes you can find, in the BOOTS you plan to use.

Taking something you would pass on day one, but take on the last day, well, that depends on what you want. If you want to punch a tag, yes. If I were on a 5 day hunt, I might pass on the first two days, then follow that advice. Sheep are not elk, or even deer. They like open areas, and do not move a long distance. You can usually find a ram again.

Fact is, there is little difference between a monster ram, and a legal one, in the eyes of everyone that will see the mount. Probably only you will be able to know the difference.

My Dad killed a legal ram in NV, back in the 50s. He was very proud of it. I have seen 10 rams that are bigger since moving here. Beauty, and size, are in the eye of the beholder.

6. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

And go to monster muleys and ask the guys for info, who hunt big game like we hunt ducks! :nutz

7. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

Native
    I'm going to be in the Dell/Lima area, hunting the Tendoy herd that is going to be repopulated. I plan on getting out there a few days before season and scouting.

If I get one, fine... if I don't, thats fine too... just to be out in the mountains with a rifle is all I am after. Cannot wait.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have been down there looking for ducks. As I recall, not as steep as the country around here. (I could be wrong)

Good luck, and enjoy.

9. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Native that last picture is a dandy if his other side looks the same. remeber to check out both side before you pull the triggger had a friend out west here got excited about the mass on one side pulled the trigger came up on sheep and other side he could not see was all busted up and groomed off from blow flys and fighting, Ram would of went 177-180 if both sides were the same as the good one but ended up 146 and change.

10. Native NV Ducker

There are bigger ones around here. That pic was taken with a pocket camera, on wide angle, not zoom. I could have reached out the window and touched him. I have actually plucked some fur out of their butts.

Bingo on looking at both sides. They like to fight, and the horns get pretty broomed up.