Bighorn Sheep Tips

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Sasha and Abby, Aug 17, 2015.

1. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Congrats on the tag! 25 years applying, yet to draw in any state, but that's ok, I'm a patient man! :)

What Native said on the pack and hiking. Pack and steps if you can't get to
    steep slopes alot. When you think your tired and winded go for more. If you can get out there at least a week early and get your body acclimated some that will help as well. But the mountains are the only place to get in true mountain shape!

Good Luck
    Doug

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Take more water than you think you will need. You coastal folk tend to dry out pretty quick at altitude and with the low humidity out west. Dehydration and altitude sickness are closely related, and you don't have to be at 14,000 feet to get altitude sick.

3. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

THIS is true... elk hunting or skiing both get me dehydrated if I don't make myself drink water constantly

4. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

5. Kimmie

C,
    My number is on my profile on FB. If you want to give me a call Gary can give you some pointers as well... He's generally home after 6.

6. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

Get high and stay high.

Let your optics do most of the walking.

Move. If, after thoroughly hunting an area, you do not find rams, don't wait for them to come to you, head to a new ridge or even another mountain until you find them.

Don't waste a lot of time hunting nurseries. If you are seeing a lot of Ewes and lambs, check the area thoroughly for rams then move on. Even though ram territories will often overlap with ewes, they are more likely to utilize adjacent areas instead. Not necessarily 2 counties over but sometimes just 1 ridge may separate a prime ram area from a nursery. Now if your tag is valid in Nov, forget what I just said. ;)

Glass very thoroughly, you will be amazed how 10 rams can materialize 400yds away in the middle of a slide you have been glassing all morning.

Determine if the rams are in a stalkable position and DO NOT rush and attempt a risky stalk, chances are if you sit on them and wait (possibly even for a few days in some cases) they will make a mistake and get in an easily stalkable position. There is nothing worse than hunting for weeks to find a ram only to bust him out by being careless or impatient.

Try to get above your ram while stalking but don't limit yourself to that. There are many times when an approach at his level or even from below is far more prudent.

And lastly, since most opportunities to hunt sheep in the lower 48 are once in a lifetime type draws, get a guide! The sting of the expense will be forgotten long before the regret of showing up completely lost and unprepared and blowing your once in a lifetime opportunity.

Good luck!!! and be prepared to become addicted, sheep hunting is awesome!

7. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch Senior Refuge Member

Oh one last one

Heed the wind but do not rely on it. Mountain wind is completely fickle and changes constantly, fortunately thermals will often lift your scent up away from ground level and neutralize an otherwise bad wind. Other times your perfect ambush will be ruined by evening thermals switching and heading right down to the rams. When in doubt, back out.

8. Kimmie

One thing we have always done is to make contact with a biologist in the area... Esp with dealing with an individual herd like this see if they can offer any insight into where they are being seen, what has been killed prior to your arrival, etc. since this hunt is being so closely followed they should be key in providing excellent information to assist you. It's always worked out well for us when hunting areas we were not familiar with...

9. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

What he said^^^^^^^^
    Put on a pack and hike up and down, find a steep trail to work out on.
    The Lima Valley starts at over 6000 ft elevation likely you will be hunting 7-9000

My father-in law drew a sheep tag at age 79, He put on a 20 lb pack and hiked 7 miles with 500 feet down then up twice a day for two months.

He pulled up to the edge of a 2200 drop put on his pack grabbed his gun, locked his truck and took two steps and a sheep bolted out of the draw he parked above, and the hunt was over

good luck

10. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

@Sasha and Abby, never saw a trip report?

Hope you had an enjoyable experience, would love to hear about your time in the mountains.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015