Binoculars??

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by wfowl7, Sep 12, 2017.

1. wfowl7

wfowl7 Senior Refuge Member

thanks guys really appreciate all the insight. I'm thinking for my needs the 10x50 would be best

Flyfisher likes this.
  2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I don't scout geese with binoculars, but during my Capt. Rick phase I spent a lot of time looking for gulls that feed over fish and distinguishing them from terns (terns lie) with them. Thinking "bigger is better," I started out with Steiner 10x42s but ended up finding I preferred their 8x42s. Bit less magnification but more field of view and, most importantly in my hands, less "jump".

When I've been ready for new glass (which I don't baby) I've looked to the bird watcher's reviews, as they're the pickiest users out there. I'm currently tickled with Vanguard 8x42s, but they've good things to say about the Vortex glass others have mentioned, too.

3. bigrick_2u

bigrick_2u New Member

Nikon, around $100. As good as you need.

4. Buckewe

Buckewe New Member

I use the vortex viper 10 x42 and I really like them especially in low light.

5. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

Vortex makes some great optics. The offer 40% off to veterans and LE, so I paid like $400.00 for my $650.00 binoculars. Lifetime/Wapiti guarantee and crystal clear glass. I love them!

6. sheboyganjohn

sheboyganjohn Refuge Member

I have the same pair and they are excellent in low light. Deer hunting a few years back I could hear a deer walking in at closing. Hunting a heavily wooded old growth area and a very cloudy day it was really dark for shooting time. I could not see it with my eyes at 70 yds. looked through the vortex and could see it. Went to my rifle scope, could not see it (vari-x II 3x9x40 on 3x) back to binos, could see it. Turned the scope up to 9x, still could not see it. Gave up and watched it with the binos until it walked off.

They also have a lifetime warranty for who ever owns them, not just the first owner. Last time I read their warranty, it was pretty much as long as you did not take a sledge hammer to them on purpose to get a new pair, they will fix or replace. I keep breaking the lens cover every few years. E-mail them and I get a new one in the mail.

7. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

I us two pairs I run a pair of midsize brunton 8x32 for my blind bag and Vortex vipers 12x42 in my truck for scouting and a vortex nomad spotting scope. A window mount for the spotter and bino's work great, however i've been thinking of getting a pair of 20x50's for scouting and using on a tripod.

8. pukeko

pukeko Senior Refuge Member

Swarovski 8x56 56 divided by 8 = 7 m.m. exit pupil. The maximum size of the human pupil is 7 m.m. This gives you the maximum light gathering capabilities. IMG_7390.JPG

9. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Nikon Monarchs 10 X 42 here as well had them for 5 years now and use them for big game as well great all around bino's

Clayton likes this.
  10. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Yes sir, its only around 4 ounces more for the 10x50.... they make great stuff.