Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Bird Declaration

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by zoops, Nov 1, 2016.

1. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

Just curious, on the declaration forms when you enter back into the USA, are you supposed to list Snow geese and Ross geese separately? We asked the agent working but he had no idea...when we said they're part of the same limit he said go ahead and just list them all as snows.

2. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Senior Refuge Member

They just lump them all together and call them white geese.

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I'm sure others will chime in, but you must be able to identify who shot each bird. You can leg tag each bird, or use color coded zip ties, but don't throw them in a lump, as Mr. Green Jeans will ask you to point out the birds that "you shot". Some guys really run into some jerks at the border, so make sure you can identify whose birds are whose. The two guys I know who take limits back all have zip ties with pre-made tags that list their name, license numbers, and leave space for species and date , which they write in . It will save you some serious border time.

4. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

We separated them into piles and put the cleaned ones (with wing attached of course) in bags that were labeled with species, date, and hunter. I like that Zip Tie idea! Been up there twice, the one time coming back the agent was pretty strict and made us lay all of our birds out in the parking lot and identify which ones belonged to each person and this time all the agent did was glance in our pickup box and have us fill out the forms. Just never know...

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

We did the zip tie thing this year, just in case. I zipped all mine, buddy left his clear. They never looked.

As to the form, it asks for specific species. We listed all ours as Greater Snow Geese. Turns out, from info from a band, one was a Ross.

In theory, you don't list 'Teal-3'. You list 'Greenwing Teal-2' and 'Bluewing Teal-1'.

The form is confusing. It has two lines for identification of each species. First is for the scientific name, which nobody knows. 2nd line is for Common Name. I was going down the form, filling out each line with different species, not skipping a line, if that makes sense. Had to start over.
    At our crossing, there is an 'example', and it does make sense, but there is only one. There was another group crossing, and they had the example. The form certainly isn't 'user friendly'.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

This is the form.

Attached Files:

7. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

Yeah the chances of filling out the forms correctly without an example to lead you are pretty much zero...and the border agents aren't too helpful in my experience

8. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

What confuses me is they ask for total pounds vs total bird count on their form. How the hell do I know how much my 24 mallards or 40 snow geese weigh. The guy at the gate asked us about birds and we gave him a count but the the form asked for total pounds. I'm sure my guess was way off.

We just put our limits in two separate bags and know which ones are ours. We've never had a problem although we've never had a thorough check.

9. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

Not trying to be a smarty but unless u were in far eastern Canada u were killing lesser snow geese. In the future I would just write "snow goose".

10. Native NV Ducker

Yea, you were probably right. I don't know snows, and it makes no difference to the guys there. The 'example' they showed said Greater Snow Goose, so I went with that. As I said, one was a Ross, and while I know what to look for, the limits don't care. Either did I.