Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Bird Declaration

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by zoops, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Capt. Collin Gee

Capt. Collin Gee New Member

After our first trip to Saskatchewan, we vowed never to wait to fill the form out at the border. Print the form out, including the instruction pages, and fill it out prior to arriving at the checkpoint. If I remember correctly, the instructions say for waterfowl to list the number of animals, not weight. We have pre-filled out our forms the last 2 years and have only spent about 5 minutes inside the checkpoint each time (compared to 45 minutes the first year). The agents seem impressed that we had the forethought to do that, glance over the form, and say you're good to go. That being said, I hope I didn't just jinx us! :doh

2. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

Doing our first trip up there in 2017, can't wait. Here's a question that I'm sure has been answered on here before, but I haven't found it yet.
    Is it legal to give your birds to a butcher to have them make pepperoni/jerky/sausage etc. and have the product shipped back to you in the states?

3. Capt. Collin Gee

Capt. Collin Gee New Member

I'm not sure about shipping them back, but the laws specifically state you cannot transport across the border in processed/packaged form. I'd think shipping would be a different story. I know it is for fish, anyway.

4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

[​IMG]
    • Each migratory game bird you import must have one fully feathered wing attached so that its species can be identified. This wing must remain on the bird until you reach your home or deliver the carcass to an appropriate processing, taxidermy, or preservation facility in the United States.
    • Because of this identification requirement, you may not import processed items made from birds you take, such as sausage.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  5. wavie

wavie Senior Refuge Member

6. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

Thank you, I appreciate the info.

7. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

We bring 2 large dehydrators and slicer up with us. We process almost all of our birds into jerky while we are there. It's no problem to set out a dozen gallon bags of jerky at the bar and have them gone the next day. Get quite a few rounds of drinks bought for us or "I've got a field full of birds come shoot them". It's a lot of work while we are there but it's nice not having process birds when we get home. Plus 400-500 snow geese take up a lot of cooler space and weight in the trailer. If they question you at the border tell them the hunting was tough and you made what few birds you did shoot into jerky and ate them.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You don't need to make up excuses. That sounds legal. You just can't make em into jerky and bring em home that way.

API likes this.
  9. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

It's easier to tell them the hunting sucked rather than explain what you did with all the birds. When we tell them we made several hundred birds into jerky it turns into 20 questions. Did we give any to anyone, sell them, mail them, etc. Usually splitting up the group trying to get different answers.

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Good point.

API likes this.