Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Bird Declaration

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by zoops, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

My birds are always cleaned with the wing on and neatly organized. I have never had an agent look any further than opening the lid. If you show proper care they will not inquire any further. Have seen guys ahead of me get checked pretty throughly with a pile in the back of the truck.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

This year, they never even looked at our birds. All that time putting zip ties on them, wasted.

3. NateB

NateB Senior Refuge Member

I like to clean my birds with a wing on them and then put 2-3 in a vacuum bag, freeze them and vacuum the bag. Write hunters name, and number and species of bird on the bag border. Would that be sufficient for this situation? They would have to rip open the bag to clearly see every wing, but they would still be frozen together. Or would it better to do one bag, one bird?
    May be headed up to Canada this year, so this is a timely topic.

4. zoops

zoops Refuge Member

The agent we had one time put up a fuss that we had 2 per bag. Probably best to do 1

5. Fozzbear

Fozzbear Senior Refuge Member

I had the same experience as Zoops. I'd suggest one bird per bag. We use gallon size zip loc bags and leave the wing hang outside the bag and zip it closed as much as possible before freezing. PITA but everytime we've been checked since starting this the Fed agents have been pleased with the quick ID of what' in the cooler and have sent us down the road quickly.

6. Snow Slammer

Snow Slammer Senior Refuge Member

I have crossed the border on the US side of SK with game birds at least 30 times and no one has ever asked who shot what. As a practical matter if you are hunting snows with 4 or more hunters half the time you don't who hit what anyway. We fill the forms out ahead of time, hand them to the border guard and most often get waived through or at worst they will look at one bag to make sure you left a wing on. Stay away from the 24 hour crossings because that is where the hard nosed guards are.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

And, that is great, for YOU. Should not be taken as advice. Tag your birds. Then there is nothing they can do about it. I HAVE had the officer ask who shot what. In that case, we had separate ice chests (which also works at the crossing).