"BIRD DOG" ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Irishwhistler, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Irishwhistler

Irishwhistler Senior Refuge Member

Aye Mates,

Me gun dog TRAD and I spent the morning yesterday out hunting for woodcock with not a single flush in what is often productive cover. Whilst in search of timberdoodles I spooked a bunny up ahead and took a single shot just as it was entering some medium height cover bordering a swale. T'was not seconds later I observed TRAD following the path o' the rabbit and entering the swale where I had last seen the cottontail. I had a bell on TRAD and I could heae him about twenty yards into the swale when I suddenly heard the distinctive cry of a rabbit in distress. Within a matter of seconds TRAD emerged carrying the bunny and he made his usual classic presentation to hand. T'was a first for TEAM TRAD. I grew up bunny hunting and had me first beagle rabbit hound at the age o' 13. Lots o' time spent in me youth chasing cottontails o'er hounds. Admittedly I have not taken a bunny in years and it was a bit nostalgic for me, but still not like taking one whilst being driven by hounds. TRAD seemed quite proud of his retrieve, though not the woodcock we were after. The bunny should make a fine meal with a flood o' memories savored with each delectable bite taken.

[​IMG]
    TRAD - "RABBIT RECOVERY TECHINICIAN".

[​IMG]
    "LET ME INTRODUCE YOU TO MY LITTLE FRIEND".

Labs are fantastic and versatile dogs, their love for working game is more than evident.

Cheers,
    TEAM TRAD

Mac5pack likes this.
  2. Rogue Hunter

Rogue Hunter Elite Refuge Member

So, did you hit the rabbit or did the dog just realize you wanted it, and went got it for you? LOL

3. Irishwhistler

Irishwhistler Senior Refuge Member

i
    I hit the rabbit and the dog made the retrieve.

4. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

We usually get two or three rabbits (Snowshoe Hares)
    every year when we are out grouse hunting.
    Rabbit stew --- Fried rabbit --- yummmmy stuff.

Irishwhistler likes this.