Black Belly Whistling Duck call????

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by brightlights, Feb 6, 2009.

1. brightlights

brightlights Senior Refuge Member

Down here in Florida we dont do much calling. Maybe a diver BRRrrrr. Or some hail calls, come backs for Mottleds, a couple of whistles for Pintails and widgeon....

Most ducks down are silent on the water, and dont respond to calling.

The BB whistling duck is a another story. You can hear them coming before you see them, but I have yet to be able to reproduce its sound with the whistles I own.

I have heard some goose calls on youttube and would venture to say that perhaps, the right Speck call, in the right hand, might work.

If any of you guys have a suggestion as to what I can use, please let me know.

2. TXduckcaller

TXduckcaller Moderator

We have on rare occasions called whistling/tree ducks, using pintail whistles. But honestly most folks I hear speak of them kill em without calling them at all.

We have quite a few around here, mostly hanging around the plant ponds ( :eek: ) and the ponds on the golf courses. The Southwest Louisiana guys kill some of em, you might try to ask over on their forum.

3. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

I have never actually intentionally called one. They are sorta like grits at the Waffle House, you don't order them, they just show up! :l

If you can find the old 3M duck calling video that has Flip Pallot (the fishing guide who is also a duck guide in the everglades) and Phil Knight from Knight and Hale, Pallot does a segment on calling fulvous whistling ducks, which are sort of close. He used a diver call type sound.

4. BKat

BKat Refuge Member

I have hunted myself. I think the call the might have a chance at calling them would be the Bays Call. Go thier website and listen. As memory serves me it is not unlike the whistle of a black belly.
    jon

5. brightlights

brightlights Senior Refuge Member

that wood duckj call sounds close to the BB whistle, but to me the bird makes a series of cadence sounds

a whistle
    a peep
    a high pitched squeel/squack

Gotta keep looking, or set up 3 guys with 3 diiferent calls.

6. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I make them by hand. Call the birds with great results.

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

My marsh blind is only apt to see them on rare-for-us west winds, but there are so many in our rice country that I carry a herding dog whistle along with the dogs' to mess with fulvous and black-bellied whistling ducks encountered on our off-season runs. Haven't been able to manage it with the cheap ACME plastic or tin ones, but better versions, like the stainless Montana Lite, can mimic most anything they're apt to do - with a fair bit of practice. (Hint: hardest part of running a herding dog whistle is not trying too hard.)

The whistling ducks are so call responsive that we regularly have them circling within easy range of a man and two dogs in the open.

8. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member