black death 4500 vs 45mag mud buddy

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Bdgr, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Bdgr

Bdgr Refuge Member

which would you choose. I have the 35hp with no mods now. I would like to upgrade to either of these to get a little more speed under load hauling. My current motor does great when its me and the dog. When It's me the dog a buddy decoys and guns other equipment I get impatient.

so which would you choose. I like the cdi technology, but would the 45 mag be more powerful? how much more than a 35 does the 45 weigh? thanks for your input.

2. deadbird8

deadbird8 Elite Refuge Member

45 Mag will give you better load carrying capability and is a good base for mods (carb/heads) if you want to do that later. The cam is and pistons in the 45 is what is giving you the power.

3. Bdgr

Bdgr Refuge Member

thanks for the reply I know that the cdi technology charges the battery at lower rpms and the wiring is more marine grade (?) are there other advantages of the cdi engine over the non cdi. Thanks in advance Mike

4. SCHMOOTER

SCHMOOTER Senior Refuge Member

45 mag for sure...

5. RedlegHunter

RedlegHunter Senior Refuge Member

Weight is the same. 45Mag is a BUILT 35 block. You can do the same mods to your 35 to make it a 45Mag for about $1450-1500 in parts plus labor. You would be adding:
    - HP Cam
    - HP Pistons
    - HP c-rods
    - Roller Rockers
    - HD push rods
    - new lower 48 tooth pulley
    - gaskets
    I am planning on doing this to my motor when I return from Afghanistan next Spring.

6. deadbird8

deadbird8 Elite Refuge Member

The CDI has different coils with a built in timing advance, however it also has a 4300 rev limiter built in.

The marine motor (type 0194) has a different stator and voltage regulator so it has a 50A charging system vs. 20A for a type 0121. It also comes with a Stainless stock style muffler. There is a Duetsch connector on the harness, other than that its the same block etc...

7. BigBand

BigBand Elite Refuge Member

8. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

I wanted relaibility and a bit more umph when getting up on plane- not esp worried about top end- went with heads milled-one Mikuni and straight pipes on my 35 MBHS-- all the difference in the world- now I get same hole shot with 3 guys- dog- dekes- blind etc as i do with just me- tried a 3 blade prop- Money wasted- it sat and spun under load-back to 2 blade tiger and I'm happy--Motor is reliable and starts well in cold etc.

9. BigBand

BigBand Elite Refuge Member

Hey Mike - I've got the 4500 Black Death on my Excel 1860 F4. Let's go for a ride sometime!
    Bill

10. Bdgr

Bdgr Refuge Member

You bet Bill, nothing much to shoot now and I'm bored. I still won't be buying the motor til spring after I sell the ski boat, but after the holidays are over I'll give you a call and we can go for a ride some afternoon.

Mike