black death 4500 vs 45mag mud buddy

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Bdgr, Dec 16, 2010.

1. SCHMOOTER

SCHMOOTER Senior Refuge Member

Quick comparison.

I have a 1854 GT GE and so does my buddy. The bottom of my boat is not pretty, so take that into consideration.

Last year I had a stock 35 and could run 25 by myself in deep water. add a buddy and hunting load, 18-20. Add one more, down around 15.

My buddy had a 45 mag on his and for some reason top speed wasn't much more than what I got with one (27-28), but he could hold that with 3-4 people.

This year I replaced my 35 with a 7000 and in deep water with 2 and dogs, I can run 35.

2. Frogger

Frogger Senior Refuge Member

I contacted Go Devil and a change to my prop from a 2 to three and they sait "It cuts down on the vibration and comes out the hole quicker". I do have a little vibration and would like to come out faster, especially in rocky bottoms. No change on the motor, except for the 23 hp.

If you take the 35 to a 45, the mods are done and you cant not take it any further, right? The base 45 can have mods til the hilt, right?

I would be happy running 25 with 3-4 guys loaded. I run a river in center Indiana with A LOT of big rocks. Speed is only fun when the river is high like it is now.

3. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

3 blader on my MBHS 35 with upgrade did nada for my hole shot- or torque--

4. burnt barley

burnt barley Elite Refuge Member

No, you can still go further with the 45!! Head work/new heads(Iron mountain), carb/s!!!

However, hard to believe you will need more than a 45:tu

5. Frogger

So, how far can you take a stock 35?

I want 45 and Im done out of the 35 but it interesting what all can be done for a little $.....

6. woffman

woffman Senior Refuge Member

Take a look around the BPS website I posted earlier, it's got all the things you can do to a 35.
    You can also go through EVT but I prefer to stick with BPS for now even though it is MB...

7. Larry D

Larry D Elite Refuge Member

Go black death as you can always upgrade it to a 45 or more later.

8. deadbird8

deadbird8 Elite Refuge Member

All the MB motors start with a stock 35 but there are 2 models:

35HP- type 121
    35HP CDI- type 194 This is a marine grade model main difference is stainless stock exhaust, a 50A charging system, and coils that provide electronic timing advance. This runs like a 'hot' type 121 due to the timing advance, However, it has a 4300 rev limiter built into the coils. This motor is the base for the Black Death editions- IM heads, roller rockers/push rods, and Mikuni carb/carbs depending on the model. It has been geared down to help stay under the 4300 rev limit. I have built my motor up from a stock 35CDI with single mikuni, exhaust, IM heads with stainless valves and rev limiter (what they call a 4500BD) but also added the BPS performance cam to it. I did not do the pistons/connecting rods as I still have to deal with the 4300 RPM limitation.

The type 121 is the base for the stock 35s as well as the 45mags and higher. You can add a stainless high flow exhaust, head work, Mikuni carb (bolt on mods) to a stock 35. Or you could build it up to a 45- cam, roller rockers, milled pistons w/ longer connecting rods, shimmed valve springs (to give you a higher top end RPM without valve float), lower unit gear ratio change to 1:1.26 to help control RPM. You can add IM heads to a 45mag or the other bolt on mods which give you incremental power- the 6000 is a 45mag with dual carbs, the 7000 has a little different dual carb configuration w/ IM heads with stainless oversized vavles. When adding the Mikuni carbs to these motors, your rev limit is controlled by an external electronic rev limiter.

So you can decide what power you want initially and where you want to take the motor eventually (just $$, parts, and wrenching) to decide where to start. The 45mag as a base is a good place to start for its load carrying capability with the cam and pistons and gives you lots of options to build on.

Hope this helps.

9. Frogger

Thanks, that explains it pretty clear.

I just called Keith at SETX and getting ready to put in a order for the, Marshmellow Double X (w/out baffles), Mikuni carb and the Iron Mountain heads. It should give me that little extra I want for the motor.

Just the sound is going to be bad a@#......

10. Frogger

Mistake or not?

Stopped into the local briggs shop in Nobleville. They said the price for the SETX seemed high for the Iron Mnt heads, $530. They said they would talk to Briggs themselves and get the work done ALOT cheaper.

I know they dont know about the high performance aspect but is it a good idea? Or, should i just go with the SETX?

Anybody have goods/bad results with either?