Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Black Duck Management Update

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by jhomyack, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Regular quote from this year on the west side of the bay....... "Shorts....Black dux again". Got some great vid and would be happy with keeping at one. What I don't understand is the rationale of not being able to shoot them during first split. Makes no sense to me.

2. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

It is supposed to protect the local nesting population of Black Ducks. Theory being that bulk of the migrators don't show up until after the first split.

I'm not that concerned or excited by the prospect of an extra BD in the bag limit, they are about half polluted with Mallard DNA anyway. IMHO try it for a couple of seasons and see if there is an impact in population numbers. If there is then cut it back. I also can't remember ever being able to shoot 2. They were 100 point birds during the Point System and shooting just one in that first few minutes after LST meant your day was over, which was a big deal when you could potentially shoot 10 ducks. An extra black in the bag, depending on the area you are hunting, might be the second and only other duck you take that day.

3. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

I'm with ya, don't know what the big deal about them is.

1....2.....who gives a sh-it!

4. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    I too am surprised of the increase in limits... if anything, based on my personal observations I am thinking that
    balck duck numbers are decreasing... Although my personal experience of waterfowl hunting only goes back to the early 70's, I do remember days on the Chester River and its tribuataries when flocks of 15-20 black ducks would patrol the river and bomb into the decoys.... I haven't seen more than one or two at a time for years.... Perhaps they have changed their habits more and more, moving into flooded cornfields in our areas... On the average, my hunting only turns up a few black ducks a year, never has the limit been an issue...

5. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

For several years i,ve thought the limit could be increased just from my observations in area I hunt. Can remember at least 25 years ago finding blk. ducks nesting in our area and not just a few. Of course these birds were not included in pond counts done up north. Still as recent as last spring found nesting blk. ducks on one of the rivers I traverse. As secluded as areas are that they favor its no wonder an accurate count could never be made from pond counts in canada.I,m Looking forward to a long awaited 2 bird limit.As far as numbers of birds not being spotted hunting recently take into consideration most now favor planted impounds same as mr. mallard. Unless you happen to be able to hunt they,re favored impound feeding ground you,ll probably see very few unless it freezes over and theres no ice eater keeping things open.Exact same story with mr. mallard. Have seen the impounds drasticaly change the paticular area I normally hunt.

6. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

I had hoped there would be some discussion by biologists by now enlightening us on why the raised black duck limit makes sense. It seems to me if the limit increase has to do with a mallard population decrease, it would put even more pressure on black ducks. Is hunting mortality not really an issue?

7. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

I dont believe it will last more than a season

8. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

It will last for three at least. I think that's the new regulation set

9. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Where did you see that at?

10. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Well, it's mentioned in this post-
    It's also mentioned on the USFWS service page as how the new ahm plan works.