Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Blind building on a steep bank

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by ducksinwv, Apr 24, 2018.

1. ducksinwv

ducksinwv Senior Refuge Member

Anyone that has built a lot of permanent blinds have advice on building on a steep bank? I'm torn on how to accomplish a permanent blind in this situation. There is no current, but the bank is very steep all the way to the water line. Would you try and dig the blind bank into the bank, or perch the back of the blind on the bank while the front of the blind and pilings are in/over the water? I have tried the search feature and couldn't find much. Any input is appreciated.

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

While I usually prefer to have my blind entirely up on the bank, in this case you might want to consider the land/water approach. If left entirely on the bank, there would be issues negotiating the incline entering & leaving the blind and no place to hide a boat. The land/water approach would allow for a boat hide on the front of the blind and not have to mess with a nasty incline. All of this is assuming that you do use a boat for transport and decoy placement.

3. ducksinwv

The hole is actually a small slough off a river and we walk around 200-300 yards to where the blind would be.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

The water depth often follows the bank in terms of steepness. This sounds like a spot where water levels can also fluctuate. So making those two assumptions a floating blind seems appropriate here.

Otherwise I would put down a few planks for your feet and 5 gallon buckets, use 2x4 stakes to hold the planking in place and put plywood or hog wire in front of you and not worry about behind you.

5. ducksinwv

Thanks for the suggestions. The bank to the slough is steep, but the water depth 3.5 feet at its deepest. It is pretty soft bottom. This will be a place I will eventually take my kids and would like to have a nice permanent blind they can be comfortable in. Hence the permanent box blind. I don't think a floater is applicable, the water level only fluctuates maybe a foot if there is a lot of flooding around. I was really just wondering what experiences guys had with building a box blind on a bank that is steep and what approach they used.

6. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

sounds ideal for a pit.

7. ducksinwv

I wouldn't say ideal. The bank drops 7-8ft almost vertically into the water. Maybe cutting bank into the bank could be an option maybe like dug out style or something.

8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

We dig ours in at the top of the banks. Can you post a pic of the location you want to put the blind? It may help with the suggestions you get here.

9. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

We use a floating blind, pulled up tight against a steep bank, with enough room to hide boat behind it. Built on a 20' pontoon boat deck.

Attached Files:

10. bird whisperer

bird whisperer Refuge Member

We use to dig post holes and set the post but doing this in moist soil can and usually is a pain and messy. Then we found that when the big flood comes and anymore they come every year the blind might float and pull the post’s out. After finding and then dismantling the missing blind we decided to sharpen the end of the post’s and drive them into the ground. At first we used sledge hammers then I found some large steal pipe with an inside diamiter of 5” that would allow a 4x4 post to fit freely inside. Welded on an end cap and handles. Now we drive the 4x4 post like a metal T-post. Every blind we have built driving the post in has stayed put when the big flood hits. Now with all that blabber out of the way, I would drive post’s into the soft bottom(use a step ladder if needed) depending on the length of the blind make sure to drive at least a set of post at the midle of your span. Place the floor above what you know the normal season water level is. Few things are more of a pain than to find out your blind floor is 18” below the winter water leval. Off one end I would build steps into the water and steps or a treaded walkway with hand rails to the top of the bank. Keep a bit of space between your back wall and the bank to cut down on rot and incase there is any sliding of the bank. Brush the heck out of it and maybe plant some trees behind the blind on the bank if there isnt any tree cover.