Blind building on a steep bank

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by ducksinwv, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

KISS. Put the blind on top of the bank. The three/four feet you lose is nothing compared to the simplicity achieved. I've built a lot of blinds over the decades and any time you can keep one out of the water, you're ahead of the game.

tcc likes this.
  2. ducksinwv

ducksinwv Senior Refuge Member

Very helpful. I like the idea of using something to drive them in. Also good thought of keeping it off the bank some to avoid the wood rotting sooner. How exactly are you using the driving tool?

3. ducksinwv

Still haven't rule that out. It all depends on the difficulty of sinking the posts. I've never liked shooting down at ducks and geese and my decoys haha.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Then shoot them when they're still ten feet off the water.....

5. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Easiest way I have found to set posts is a 2" trash pump if you have a water source close. Make a coupler up with a length of 3/4 pipe as long as you need to get the depth desired, and jet the post into the ground. We use this technique to set structure posts in trout steams.

6. ducksinwv

Have thought about this also, I might have access to a pump. Just never done that before and felt like driving them in would be easier for a beginner

7. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

When setting posts in the water you just hold the post vertical and put the pipe along side the post while jetting and it will pretty much run itself down. On dry land it can be messy, but the same principle applies.

8. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

Shooting down on birds can be an advantage however to shoot more doubles and triples once you get used to the fact has after your 1st shot, the birds are rising up but yet not gaining any distance from you

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Definitely the best way. If you have to drive them in, and I've done it plenty, nail a short piece of 2x4 to the top of the post. This help prevent the post splitting while hammering it in.

10. ducksinwv

Good to know, thank you sir.