Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Blind Sites - One Per Day?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by mhoffman, Aug 3, 2006.

One blind site per day on opening day

1. 1 per day for day one

50 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. 2 per day for day one (current law)

12 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Don't care/riparian landowner/hunt rich uncle's place

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. mhoffman

mhoffman Senior Refuge Member

I'm emerging from my burrow after being buried in blind site "stuff" the past week. I'd like to publically thank the Wildlife and Heritage staff and the NRP for doing another excellent job in pulling this off, particularly Lena Pajewska, who many of you know, as my blind site licensing "ace in the hole". Your comments, concerns, and suggestions are always welcomed. As you know, we have implemented many of them (within the framework of the existing law) over the past several years and will continue to do so. (Wait a minute, I almost forgot we never listen to the waterfowlers, so don’t waste your time.)

One question, given the increasingly limited availability of shoreline, I have heard from many people this year that on day one, sites should be limited to one per person. This would stretch out the licensing process (only doing one site will not cut the time it takes to do it in half, maybe by a third or so), but I can see that it would be better if more people got half a loaf, as opposed to some getting a full load and others none. Your reaction?

Mark Hoffman
    Associate Director, Administration
    Wildlife and Hertiage Service
    a.k.a. blind site licensing czar (I like the ring of that)

2. BadBean

BadBean Elite Refuge Member

I would rather see a floater system but answering your question:

I still think 2 numbers drawn per person per day and only one site per number. This would require no law change and it would give more participants opportunity at getting something worth hunting. Make the choice 5 minutes time limit. I think this would be a more fair lottery. you get twice the chance at drawing a lower number.

3. yuk

yuk Guest

....thinking into that a bit.....I believe it has a flaw. You'd have to have 2 sets of numbers, you's have to draw and let people pick the first round before anyone can start the second round, with the only exception being that someone were to draw 1 and 1, highly unlikely. Therefore, you would have many more staying because only 1 site is being licensed at a time possibley giving higher numbers hope.....so that whole process would drag out til closing time.....you have to let the next set of nymbers in the following day drawing it out even further.

1 blindsiet a day for the drawing, I think is the correct and fair way to go.
    Thanks again mark and co.

4. M R seagulls

M R seagulls Senior Refuge Member

one blind per day and five minutes,i like it!:tu
    i only took one anyway,by the time i got my pick there wasn't much left so instead of wasting 40 bucks i wasted 20.

5. BadBean

BadBean Elite Refuge Member

No you just have more than twice the amount of numbers in the pot as there are people at cutoff time. They draw two numbers right there and then and that is what order they will go in for the two site picks.

The beauty of this system is there will be no need to go to the Leg. to change the law as it already conforms with it. It can be easy implimented with out any red tape and conviincing and political juggling. The mechanics are just different.

6. RUSSELL HALLOCK

RUSSELL HALLOCK Elite Refuge Member

I am all for one site per day per person. The pie is getting smaller so everyone has to take a smaller piece of that pie, just my opinion.

7. brdy

brdy Elite Refuge Member

I still like my idea better:yes

I am not really sure how this would play out. Would you end up with 600 people showing up at the draw then? Would people buy licenses for non hunters just so they can pick a #? Would more hunting buddies take off just at a chance to get a better #?
    It has its merits, just not sure how it would really play out. I picked a good # this year so I really cant complain(well I could but you never listen to me anyway:) ) I just think the system is flawed and not sure why people are so scared of a floater system:confused: Kinda like they were when it was happening on the upper potomac and everyone feared the worst. And it turned out to be a great plan:tu

8. yuk

yuk Guest

....that's not very fair, if you asked me.......what if you drew 244 on your first grab and #2 on your second..........but the person behind you grabbed #3 on his first and 190 on his second......of course your gonna use your#2 as your first draw, but it was actually your second.....you eliminated the chance of that #2 going fairly into the hands of another lucky drawer by allowing someone to put his hands in the jar twice....times 300 people. You'd have to draw the first round first....and the second.....of course, second.

9. peacechicken

peacechicken New Member

One site per day per person seems reasonable to me.

10. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

One match per day per person to burn the whole system sounds about right :yes