Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Blind Sites - One Per Day?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by mhoffman, Aug 3, 2006.

One blind site per day on opening day

1. 1 per day for day one

50 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. 2 per day for day one (current law)

12 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Don't care/riparian landowner/hunt rich uncle's place

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. brdy

brdy Elite Refuge Member

Agreed:tu

2. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

No, all the area won't be taken up. There are still blind sites available today in quite a few areas, as there will still be the last day of the season. Sure, there are certain counties that will fill up even if it goes to a single blind, but those counties have severely restricted area anyways, and any kind of floater system in those areas would definitely cause problems.

Example: If you were to do away with the stakes in Harford County (very few blind sites) and give everyone a first come opportunity at those same sites, you would have a melee on your hands. The number of people fighting to get those spots first would be tremendous. Everyone launches their boat in the morning with the intent on hunting spot X, but someone who spent the night on their boat got their first. Well, we're here, so we're going to hunt somewhere, so they travel. When they travel, they find that all the available land is already being hunted. What are they going to do? They're going to either set up too close to someone else, or they're going to hunt by some licensed shoreline (don't even start with the argument that we can take away that right from the landowner, because it ain't gonna happen).

That right there is a prime reason why stakes are needed in some areas.

Now lets look at a larger county like AA. There are still plenty of sites available today. If everyone who participated in the draw was granted a single site, or even 2, there would still be areas that could be float hunted, because there are still areas available now. People who want to hunt a certain spot are given that right, and they have a spot that they can manage for their own hunting. They don't have to get up at 2am to get "a good spot" and they don't have to worry about who shot 4 dozen ducks off that spot the day before. They also don't have to worry about a big argument over who got where first, or who is too close to who, because even if they were float hunting, they have a fall back, guaranteed spot.

You've got some counties that are in between the two, which is where limiting the number of blinds by county would work. Some counties may give out one per person, some two, heck some may be more.

3. yuk

yuk Guest

.......that statemant alone, is true.....and (IMO) is a serious flaw in this idea, and it will happen.........it is also going to have the NRP running wild. At least now, with blindsites....it's clear as crystal! Either you have permission to hunt there.....or you do not!:)

4. Rockfish

Rockfish Elite Refuge Member

Is the glass half full or half empty? We're never going to agree. Maybe we should just start another poll.:dv for or against a floater system.

5. brdy

brdy Elite Refuge Member

:l :l

I would like to know where there are spots still available in AA county. I went down there the 2nd day to look at the maps nothing left... Oh wait there were a couple that I could have taken but tons of docks right there. Maybe I should have taken it and caused a conflict with the owner:rolleyes: If there are any sites left in AA county the reason is its not huntable and no one wants to hunt it. Thats the problem you will have if you try to do both blind sites and floater

In regards to your first statement I dont doubt there will be some problems if it goes into effect especially first split but once people get used to it they will deal with it. To say its going to be the end of the world is just ludicrous IMHO. Same thing they said when the upper potomac went to the floater system. hmmm yep that was the end of hunting up there:rolleyes:

6. yuk

yuk Guest

....we pulled 2 sites in AA county on Monday. Right on shore....no houses or piers......and we'll absolutely crush the divers and seaducks. You have to look outside the box.....and be willing to travel more than a mile from any ramp. I could draw 2 more today if I wanted too....saw some good spots that are open.

7. yuk

yuk Guest

....I just have to say, that Lena is the most pleasant person I ever met....and an absolute pleasure to deal with!:tu

8. MD Ducker

MD Ducker Moderator Moderator

Well, it is the end of the world as we know it. . . . I agree with both Yuk & chcltlabz on the same subject. :l :l

Just think of what it is like when 2 kids have to share a common toy at a daycare. Fights break out over “it is mine”.....”NO its mine!”....”I had it first”.

If I wanted to deal with that every day I hunt, I'd just hunt WMA’s exclusively because that is what it will become. I’m not against enhancing the current system, but lets make change for the better not just for the sake of change.

9. brdy

brdy Elite Refuge Member

I agree:tu

Trust me Yuk, I travel way more than a mile from my ramp to get where I am going. I can crush the divers and seaducks anytime out in the zone and even in the spots I have now(hell I picked #23) But instead of trying new places I am stuck unless i go in the zones. Curious to where you picked cuz when i went second day there was nothing...(you dont have to tell me though;))

10. yuk

yuk Guest

...not saying that you do not travel, Brdy......but the majority don't.