Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

blind stake crappy picks

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Duckshot69, Aug 7, 2007.

1. john scanlon md

john scanlon md Elite Refuge Member

Winston Churchill, " Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all others which have been tried since the start of history"

If tidal water below MHW is "public", it would seem that an abutting landowner has as much right to it as any squatter and much more interest.

2. Labtales

Labtales Elite Refuge Member

I have never said we should be content with what we have now. Nor have I said this is already a lost battle. I am saying that before we pick this fight we need to know exactly what we want, what we are risking, and what we are going up against.
    As far as standing together..... why do you think I beat on guys about joining MDWFA? I put the tri-folds under every wiper on duckin' trucks at the ramp. I talk to anyone who will listen. You are completely correct: united we stand, divided we fall.
    How many on this board b!tch about the blindstake issues, are not memebers of MDWFA? I had a guy ask me when I asked him to join "What has MDWFA done for me?" After going down the list he said "none of that affects me", and off he went. As long as we have the "If I get mine, the h3ll with you" mentality we are not going to get anything accomplished.

3. berettafan

berettafan Elite Refuge Member

i like the one pick/5 minute idea. it's like women shopping for shoes in there sometimes!

and i have zero problem paying $20 for my own spot for the season. i don't have to get up an hour early just to beat some other guy to it.

4. 7bartman

7bartman Elite Refuge Member

The reason I'm unhappy with the current system isn't necessarily b/c of the now, but rather the future. Anyone with any forsight can clearly see there are less spots to pick from every year. It seems every year I have to get craftier when trying to find a spot. Everyone can write me off as a "complainer" if they want, but I say take a minute and look at the system compared to other nearby states. If floater laws work in NJ, NY, and VA, then why can't they work here. These states all have similar development issues as we do yet they still find a way to make it work. I just can't see this blindsite thing working in another 10 years (same amount of people and less spots). Hunting is an age old tradition shared by all in the Chesapeake, I'm just trying to make sure in 10 years your hunting won't depend on whether or not you are friends with a riparian owner.

5. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

You can stand all united if you want. Some of us want to keep the blindsites. Guess we're kind of divided already aren't we:nutz

6. Tad

Tad Elite Refuge Member

Maybe the 2006 poll should have been...

• Who likes the current Blind Stake process?
    • Who would like to see something different?

Then we can begin to understand how divided we are on this issue.

7. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Ditto :tu

Who ever thinks this dialog has anything to do with "challenging riparian landowner rights" needs a reality check:yes What we have now was collaboration of riparians, squatters,DNR WH and NRP.

Some of you are now seeing the pot getting smaller since SB 59 so close your eyes and open them up on first Tuesday in August 2010. Maybe someone will say I wished we had looked at this few years ago. Some of you have the stamina to see this through and I hope you do :clap

Many of us who years ago shared the concerns some of you have now did our best to save and enhance waterfowl hunting regs. The old guys on here can talk volume's of the changes and good ol days. Some of you will talk of your good 'ol days and some will talk of I'm glad we took this on as we better off for it as we did years ago.

What tickled me to death as I talked to Bedbean, he going out and studying others state's sytems who have riparian rights, blind sites and floating system.
    This has never been done before and it's a giant leap to develop idea's and gather data/metrics.

You all are @ the same point we were in the Blind Site Committee over 10 years ago, stalemate, we got through it so will you to find common ground.

8. Rockfish

Rockfish Elite Refuge Member

chcltlabz, I said divided we stand because we all have a difference of opion how how this blind stake process should be done. United we fall because if we don't work together and try to come to a copromise or solution to the issue at hand we will have nothing to choose from in the future. Who's fault will that be, OURS! We have bitched about it for the last four years and nothing has changed. If you do not like change I guess it has benifited you.

9. easternshorerednek

easternshorerednek Elite Refuge Member

I was only telling you all how the system works......and how I think it should be changed.....but all I can say is that i dont think one person complaining is going to shut down the whole system because I am sure many people have complained....but when 300 people show up at the lottery....it seems to me like we arnt that small. I think there is plenty of people to stand up for the lottery system....not because it is the way we want it....but because it allows us to hunt the water without spending thousands.....but that I doubt that you guys who live on the water have any more money or power then most of us......just my 0.02 cents and once again probably a fact!

10. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

short trip down memory lane

Riparian rights have been part of waterfowl hunting in Maryland as far back as 1800's while more established local county regs started to take shape in the 1930's. The large landowners dominated the scene for many years as this finaly changed only in 2000, you have to know the old regs to really crasp this concept.

Anyway, for the record, the State of Maryland owns the water, the General Assembly has granted the "privilege" to riparian's to license their property first.
    It's been like this since your granddaddy loaded his favorite duck gun from the muzzle.