Blown muffler baffles 32 hp Prodrive... Brigg's .

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by callinfowl, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You talking about diameter or length? (either way, you'll notice no difference)

Looks baaad, olefart. Paint that sucker flat black and you'll have guys at the ramp wanting you to make one for them. I guarantee it. :tu

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Length, so the tailpipe would protrude 3/4 of the way into the can/ back of the muff, and instead of 3'' protruding out of the muff I would like to have it about 8'' long with a 45* bend downward. just to provide a touch more back pressure.
    Gutted really isn't a whole lot louder, it sounds a little meater gutted.
    I'm wondering by not having as much back pressure if it is going to hurt anything in valve train or the engine?
    So far so good running without any baffles, haven't had any backfires to speak of. Maybe a little pop every once in a while, hardly ever really, and we also pulled the backfire suppresser piston out of the carb and capped off the two wires going to it and put a brass plug in it's place.
    A friend of our that works on these engines said those little anti backfire pistons fail when they fail they are in the closed position so the carb is basically useless until it's replaced because it shuts the fuel supply off completely.
    So far it's been a great boat and motor for me and my brother in-law.
    2006 boat and engine 1754 PD boat made by Go Devil with a stock 32 hp PD.
    The only upgrade we have down is we removed the big Tractor double air cleaner can on top and put a small K&N filter with a silicone treated nylon sock type pre filter on to help keep water off the filter whill running. It rained like hell out here last year and we never had a problem with it sucking water in heavy rain or rough water.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

The myth that engines need "back pressure" is just that; a myth. While correctly-timed reverse pressure pulses can benefit an IC engine, deliberately placing exhaust system constrictions will only hurt power output.

You most likely hurt your power output in the process; the stock air filter probably flowed better AND was not affected by rain.
    Word to the wise: aftermarket is not always an "upgrade".

4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum