Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Bluebills.

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by rebelbuck, Apr 27, 2016.

1. rebelbuck

rebelbuck New Member

Let me see your bluebill mounts. I can't find hardly any nice looking bluebill mounts on Google. I can't decide if I want flying or standing. Thanks!

2. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

First, I would suggest looking at live bird photos (Google, Pbase, etc...) not just mounts. Second, look at similar diver species (Redhead, Ringneck) as they can be mounted pretty much the same as Bluebills and will give you lots more to choose from. Having said that here's a couple (not all 'Bills.......):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

deadgrassdog likes this.
  3. deadgrassdog

deadgrassdog Elite Refuge Member

Awesome as always Brad!! Love those mounts!

4. DuckNutz87

DuckNutz87 Refuge Member

The redhead mount is out of this world!!!

5. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Very nice...I don't have any bird mounts but if I ever do those dead mounts will be on the short list

6. alanwebfoot

alanwebfoot New Member

I always think of accenting the positive of any bird ,but keeping it anotomically correct,those mounts are oustanding ,agree with look at live duck pictures . Myself I prefer standing ,for 2 reasons 1 no color on speculum to show off,, 2 the head on any standing bird can be groomed to look huge ,because of relaxed attitude. What stands out on a bluebill obviously the head and feet standing on an ice covered rock or shelf of snow along a lake will show off both these attributes .

7. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

It's beneficial to get as many opinions as you can and weigh the pros/cons of each while keeping in mind that there is no "always do it this way". When done well, a standing diver mount can be very impressive. I would argue however that it is difficult to pull off a good standing diver mount. The birds themselves are semi-awkward on land to begin with and tend to spend most of the time on water or in the air unlike many of the puddle ducks. Someone not accustomed to doing many birds will find difficulty getting the fluffed up, relaxed attitude described above. The quality of the bird will also be a factor. In order to achieve that nice plump fluffed-up look, the specimen is going to need to be free of pin feathers, have full side pockets, head, etc...., otherwise, you end up with a skinny-looking matted, not-so-pretty mount. This requires a fairly late-season bird and/or fully mature specimen. Many of those problems can be hidden with a flying pose (not always). Lastly, the base will need to be taken into account. Nice snowy, icy or muddy base scenes look great the day the customer picks up the piece, but several months later it looks like a dust-bunny and nearly impossible to clean. There will also be additional costs associated with a habitat base that will also need to be factored in.

Wildthings likes this.