Boat blind for a havoc dbst

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by DirtyDusty, Dec 16, 2017.

1. DirtyDusty

DirtyDusty New Member

I got a 1754 dbst and need to put a blind on it. Will probably build it myself, but was wondering about the front end. If I keep it inside the gunnels on the front end, the blind will be shorter. If I make the blind the same width and height front and back, it will hang off the sides where front gets narrower.
    Has anyone put a blind on one of these, and if so, how did it work?

2. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

I have a 648 War Eagle that is shaped similar on the bow. I built a scissor style blind that lays along the gunnels. My front cross member I set inline with where the front deck starts, making the blind look boxy. To breakup that outline I attached a piece of thin camo rope to the top corner of each upright that would reach appx 3/4 of the way to the bow, I then threaded it through a piece of 1/2" pvc that was cut several inches shorter than the rope. Then I attached one end of an 18" heavy bunge strap with hooks to the rope. this will be used to hook onto anything at the bow that can be hooked onto, in my case it is the mounting bracket of my front running light. Camo material is attached to the rope/pvc so that it will hang down off of the side of the boat. This is done on both sides of the boat/blind. This gives a tapered outline to the front of the blind eliminating the boxy profile. When it is time to lay the blind down I just unhook from the front and swing the rope/pvc/camo back along the side of the blind and hook it to a similar piece at the rear. This way the material lays against the blind and is easily rolled up when the side is dropped and made ready for transport. The reason for the pvc is that it adds some rigidity so that the weight of the blind material won't cause too much sag. Another tip is to leave enough material on both sides to reach across the bow deck area to cover up the black hole look. I just use some black plastic spring clamps to hold the edges together
    I know all of this sounds kind of complicated but it really isn't. It is quick to set up/take down and stores very easily and really breaks up the blind outline, plus it gives a lot of covered space on the front deck to store stuff out of the way . My choice of camo material is the Rancho Safari Shaggy.

3. DirtyDusty

DirtyDusty New Member

My biggest concern is that where my deck is at, is 12” narrower than the back end. Once raised the front would be almost afoot lower than the rear. Or am I over thinking it?

4. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Just build the blind far enough forward to cover the hunters. Drape camo from there to the front end to break up the outline.

5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

This is on a 754 WE. I've never been in a havoc but if the hull shape is similar this might work.

6. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

when you buid your scissor frame legs use a conduit size that will slide over or inside of bottom portion of legs. drill holes along lower section of legs to allow adjustment and pinning with hitch pins. this will allow you to keep blind consistent height front and rear and also allow you to retract it enough to stay inside of or right at front gunnel. Keep adjusted down while underway and adjust out prior to standing up to hunt.

7. Stormer

Stormer New Member

I assume you are only wanting a scissor style blind? I have a removable enclosed blind I built on my 17X56 MST.

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Since my boat tapers in the front, my current Beavertail blind hangs over the gunwale in the front by maybe 8-10". It's not a big deal.

I have owned previous blinds on which I set up a quick disconnect for the front legs. For travel, they were disconnected so that I could push the blind in to follow the outline of the gunwale and not stick out. When I got to the hunt spot, I pushed the blind out and fastened it to the front plate anchoring it to the deck.