Boat Floatation Options

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Holland, May 5, 2018.

1. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Really depends on the quality of the foam, the blue closed cell I buy in "bats". It's the floatation for my dock, been there over twenty years and I've had no water logging issues. About the only problems I have is with boring clams, barnacles, and seaweed, but not enough to effect the floatation value. The PO of my aluminum boat took all the floatation out from under the seats to make storage, I didn't like that and re-filled it with the blue closed cell that I cut to fit, it works great!

callinfowl likes this.
  2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

My War Eagle has foam that is still good after 14 years but I recently replaced the wood benches(rotted wood) after 21 years in my old 70 model V-hull. The One gallon jugs that I put under the seats in the rebuild 21 years ago were still airtight. I replaced them with new ones just in case.. Gallon jugs or quart oil jugs are my recommendation for cheap and reliable flotation.

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I agree the extruded polystyrene can work great, or it may not depending on the specific application. While much better than many other types it can still absorb water, that's just a fact. It's also not remotely UV stable, and will quickly melt if exposed to gas, oil, etc--it's not at all resistant to those. It'll also burn/melt in a heartbeat, and put off some nice toxic fumes if it does. All that to say there are some potential downfalls to be aware of. The bottles/jugs are practically free, will last indefinitely, are immune to all of the above except fire, and work just as well.

Fowler267 likes this.
  4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Closed-cell foam cannot, for all practical purposes, absorb water. I can see no reason to NOT use it.

callinfowl and Phytoplankton like this.
  5. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

use the seats for storage, and get yourself a big *** bilge pump. 1500 gal per minute minimum. The only time your going to need flotation is if you swamp the thing completely, and 99% of the time a bilge pump will save you.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

No bilge pump is gonna save you if you truly get swamped and have no flotation. They're great for rain, leaky boat, occassional wave, etc but I certainly wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket and forgo flotation of some sort.

Dogface and GUNNERX2 like this.
  7. dwhauss

Flotation goes on your body, you see commercial boats with flotation? Nope. De water and keep your head. 1200lbs of flotation is alot. Most skiffs are designed to float only the hull and possibly the motor, not gear and people.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I'm not talking about saving your azz, I'm talking about saving your boat. It's a whole lot easier to recover a boat floating just at the surface than it is one sitting on the bottom.

9. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I'm a fan of bilge pumps but the way and places and temps that I hunt in dictate FLOTATION! Bilge pumps are worthless if clogged with trash, sticks etc as my boat always is. Not much good if froze up either. I like a gallon jug cut in half to form a water dipper as a back up.

tcc and Phytoplankton like this.
  10. dwhauss

Good point, the areas I hunt are generally shallow. And I use the seat space for storage. For me, making the right choice about when and where to go dependent on weather is the best flotation. If I hole the boat, the pump should keep up with it till I can get into the beach.